Clunking noise - gears?

Lethalw

hi All,

Audi S5 2014 - 14k miles.

i have just changed from having M3's the last few years.

can you tell me if it is normal to hear an occasional clunking noise (i.e is it the gearbox changes?).

the only thing that makes me doubt that it is the gearbox, is that it sometimes happens when it isn't changing gear.

i just cannot see how it can be anything sinister with only 14k miles on the clock?

Or could it be a bearing?? 

Hello Gary,

I'm afraid I'm just going to be asking for a bit more information which might help others in giving you helpful advice. 

Can we take it this is an automatic? 

I notice the car is a 2014. Is this still under warranty, or if not, how many months is it out.?

Does the car have service history, since I would assume that despite its low mileage, it should have been serviced on an age basis? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Mods:- is it worth moving this (and others under this section) to the correct section? 

17 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Gary,

I'm afraid I'm just going to be asking for a bit more information which might help others in giving you helpful advice. 

Can we take it this is an automatic? 

I notice the car is a 2014. Is this still under warranty, or if not, how many months is it out.?

Does the car have service history, since I would assume that despite its low mileage, it should have been serviced on an age basis? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Mods:- is it worth moving this (and others under this section) to the correct section? 

Hi Gareth,

sorry about the post in the wrong area, still getting used to site.

automatic - full history

out of 3 year warranty by 2 months

Hi Gary

Welcome to the forum!, I've moved this to the A5 Section for now, Sure this would be the correct location.

As Magnet has stated, is it an automatic?

Are you able to supply us with a video at all? phone on car seat and record sound? 

Does it make the noise when you take your foot of the accelerator then re apply? (when you're cruising and not taking your foot of to change gear) 

Best Regards

Bradley

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brad-B5 said:

Hi Gary

Welcome to the forum!, I've moved this to the A5 Section for now, Sure this would be the correct location.

As Magnet has stated, is it an automatic?

Are you able to supply us with a video at all? phone on car seat and record sound? 

Does it make the noise when you take your foot of the accelerator then re apply? (when you're cruising and not taking your foot of to change gear) 

Best Regards

Bradley

Hi Bradley,

i wouldn't pick anything up on record. It is not a persistant / consistant noise. There is no pattern to it. All i know it is like a scrape / click and a clunk all in one but not really loud.

so frustrating that i can't describe it in words. It is an automatic (7 speed dual clutch). the noise comes when cruisiing / slowing down , speeding up, basically whenever it feels like it!

Do you think Audi would check it over for considering it is only 2 months out of warranty?

Gary

Hi Gary

So doesn't make a difference if the engine is cold or hot? driven hard or not? Do you feel the noise is definitely coming from the gearbox?  

All you could do is ask but then again I'm not 100% on if they would look and cover the part/s under warranty. or you could do an extended warranty then take it in? 

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/audi-insurance-warranties-and-service-plans/audi-warranties.html

Regards

Bradley

1 hour ago, Brad-B5 said:

Hi Gary

So doesn't make a difference if the engine is cold or hot? driven hard or not? Do you feel the noise is definitely coming from the gearbox?  

All you could do is ask but then again I'm not 100% on if they would look and cover the part/s under warranty. or you could do an extended warranty then take it in? 

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/audi-insurance-warranties-and-service-plans/audi-warranties.html

Regards

Bradley

yeah no difference either cold or hot engine. not driven hard. driven hard you wouldn't hear it. not definitely coming from the box, just feels that way.

thank for the link mate. will take it in and then maybe go down this route if they fob me off.

cheers Bradley, i appreciate your help.

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the extra detail. 

I would most certainly refer this to the Audi dealership (possibly the one/s who servived it). OK, it's 2 months out of warranty, but you might find that Audi may be prepared to make some contribution towards any costs, due to the low mileage/ service history and the short elapse of time since the warranty has expired.

Can I ask if you bought this from an Audi dealership, another car sales dealer, or privately? 

If not privately, it would certainly be worth contacting the last registered owner to enquire whether there is any history of this problem. It is just possible that if so, this may have been reported as a fault ( within the warranty period) but not rectified. If this is the case, this would be an important string to your bow in any discussions with Audi. 

If purchased from a dealer then it should be possible to get this problem rectified - without cost to yourself? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:41 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the extra detail. 

I would most certainly refer this to the Audi dealership (possibly the one/s who servived it). OK, it's 2 months out of warranty, but you might find that Audi may be prepared to make some contribution towards any costs, due to the low mileage/ service history and the short elapse of time since the warranty has expired.

Can I ask if you bought this from an Audi dealership, another car sales dealer, or privately? 

If not privately, it would certainly be worth contacting the last registered owner to enquire whether there is any history of this problem. It is just possible that if so, this may have been reported as a fault ( within the warranty period) but not rectified. If this is the case, this would be an important string to your bow in any discussions with Audi. 

If purchased from a dealer then it should be possible to get this problem rectified - without cost to yourself? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:48 PM, B8sline143 said:

Did you get this sorted?

Hi Both,

not sorted yet. Took it to Kwik fit for them to check underneath / wheels etc.. they found nothing. They took it for a test drive (two of them) and said its nothing they have come across before. The one Kwik Fit guy said it is like a central locking noise and afterwards i understood his view. it sounds like when you remote unlock your doors. but it is coming from underneath the car. very frustrating!

i am going to take it to audi.

It could be some play in a link (such as an engine mount or similar) that is being stressed on acceleration/deceleration and making a 'clunking' noise which would be indicative of a worn bush

1 hour ago, Trevor said:

It could be some play in a link (such as an engine mount or similar) that is being stressed on acceleration/deceleration and making a 'clunking' noise which would be indicative of a worn bush

hi Trevor,

If i find you are correct, should one of these be worn after £14k miles?

thanks

Gary

• 5 years later...
On 8/14/2017 at 2:50 PM, Trevor said:

Did you ever sort this? Seem to have a similar thing. Wonder if it is thr downshift from 6 to 5.