Audi's gliding over potholes! :O

Steve said something about the at AITP and was just reading up on it, looks really good!

Give it a read guys :) 

What's your thoughts on it? 

https://www.fastcompany.com/1839303/audis-predictive-suspension-delivers-smoother-car-ride-anticipating-potholes

interesting article Bradley....will put it in the new Audi news sections.

Somewhat similar to Citroen hydraulic suspension except they just ploughed through the potholes and you never even felt them.... @Magnet will remember the old Citroen CX and will probably confirm how good the suspension was

Thanks Trevor, 

So age has its merits, but comes with an improving forgetory (my answer to memory loss!). But yes, I do remember the the CX and indeed Citroen were renouned for their  inovation with suspensions (was it LMH fluid or something similar which also worked the braking system under pressure?) But of course, let's not forget their opposite end of the scale, 2CV - the upside down pram! 

Now being old allows you to have strong opinion - most of it being poo pooed - and to my mind, someone decided about 30 years ago that suspension systems should be designed to allow our everyday family car to go around corners as if you were on a race track. Great, but at the considerable expense of ride comfort, leaving us all with our backsides jarring as we travel along our potholed roads. The minority who want to permanently drive around corners at high speed (often on budget tyres with minimum grip?) do so with some bravado, while the average family motorist suffers from bad backs as a result of hard suspension. Of course, Dunlop brought out pneumatic tyres to replace solid tyres only to find that some 90 years on our  "young enthusiastic press-on" drivers now run around on tyres about as deep and shock absorbing as the solid ones were. Progress!? Trendy? Most definitely. End of ramble.

Cool! -well done Brad. 

This used to be something which wasn't really hot, but now I guess it's something which is trendy! Sorry Brad., only joking. 

Pot (as in potholes) used to be something like a deep pan - now it's no longer deep, but high. What I'm trying to say (very badly) is that some of these 'new' innovations are simply recycled concepts from many decades ago. Case in point, the current stop/start system recycled from the 1930s. 

Sorry folks, I could bore you for hours. Congratulations to those who stuck with it so far. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Trevor, 

So age has its merits, but comes with an improving forgetory (my answer to memory loss!). But yes, I do remember the the CX and indeed Citroen were renouned for their  inovation with suspensions (was it LMH fluid or something similar which also worked the braking system under pressure?) But of course, let's not forget their opposite end of the scale, 2CV - the upside down pram! 

Now being old allows you to have strong opinion - most of it being poo pooed - and to my mind, someone decided about 30 years ago that suspension systems should be designed to allow our everyday family car to go around corners as if you were on a race track. Great, but at the considerable expense of ride comfort, leaving us all with our backsides jarring as we travel along our potholed roads. The minority who want to permanently drive around corners at high speed (often on budget tyres with minimum grip?) do so with some bravado, while the average family motorist suffers from bad backs as a result of hard suspension. Of course, Dunlop brought out pneumatic tyres to replace solid tyres only to find that some 90 years on our  "young enthusiastic press-on" drivers now run around on tyres about as deep and shock absorbing as the solid ones were. Progress!? Trendy? Most definitely. End of ramble.

Cool! -well done Brad. 

This used to be something which wasn't really hot, but now I guess it's something which is trendy! Sorry Brad., only joking. 

Pot (as in potholes) used to be something like a deep pan - now it's no longer deep, but high. What I'm trying to say (very badly) is that some of these 'new' innovations are simply recycled concepts from many decades ago. Case in point, the current stop/start system recycled from the 1930s. 

Sorry folks, I could bore you for hours. Congratulations to those who stuck with it so far. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Your reply Gareth did make me laugh! XD

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

while the average family motorist suffers from bad backs as a result of hard suspension.

for example lol and a few  more lols here and there, it's probably become more of a thing as potholes now have got to a point that people just rather walk now lol but this tech and with better tech now can be better utilised and be perfected.

also (pot as in pot) in america means weed or marijuana

Kind regards

Bradley 

Good on you Brad, you didn't fall asleep then at the end! 

Pot ( America), yes, that was my high bit of '.....no longer deep, but high' 

Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Just in passing the late (great?, well character anyway)  Howard Marks and I grew up together in the same village, but I didn't actually sample his wares. I could write a book! 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

p.s. Just in passing the late (great?, well character anyway)  Howard Marks and I grew up together in the same village, but I didn't actually sample his wares. I could write a book! 

I had to look up Howard Marks as I had never heard of him before....what an interesting character. 

Hello Trevor,

Well unlike me, he did right a book - Mr. Nice, and there was a film of the same name starring Rhys Evans. What a character! 

The book is a good read whether anyone condemns or condones what he did. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 15/08/2017 at 4:13 PM, Trevor said:

interesting article Bradley....will put it in the new Audi news sections.

Somewhat similar to Citroen hydraulic suspension except they just ploughed through the potholes and you never even felt them.... @Magnet will remember the old Citroen CX and will probably confirm how good the suspension was

The old cx Pallas was an awesome suspension system, they claim you could put an elephant in the boot and the ride height would remain the same, from memory tho the cornering was a little 'rolley' and challenging.  This new Audi system i believe also raises the suspension on one side in the corners to keep the car flat and controllable, I would love to drive it to compare to the HMS CX Pallas.  Roll on future thechnology.

IMG_0230.JPG

• Like 1