Air filter upgrade

Raza_300

Hi All,

Another noob question.

There's a lad down my road with a golf 1.9tdi and he has installed this filter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Filter-Box-Carbon-Fiber-Cold-Feed-Induction-Kit-3-Air-Intake-Set-Universal-/112504703319?hash=item1a31cd8957:g:1D8AAOSwLIhZgGN-   minus the hose as he was afraid of sucking in water into the engine. He has run this set up for over 30,000 miles and swears it's safe and non-damaging to the car.

My questions are:

1) Is it safe to fit this to my car without the hose

2) If this filter sucks in hot air from the engine bay what effects will it have on my engine (bad and good please)

3) Please let me know any other thoughts/concerns you may have.

I should state I'm not really after performance just the added sound is what I want. My car is an a6 2.0tdi c7.

Many Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Raza, 

any form of forced induction is good as more air is getting to the engine quicker. However the colder the air, the better it is for the engine. I would suspect without using the hose your going to make the air going into your engine hotter than what it currently does with the standard system which isn't a good thing. 

Hope iv heked

cheers

steve

If you want more sound there is an easy way of removing plastic and the mesh from the original audi airbox filet housing with acts as sound proofing also you can gut out the butterfly flap on the back of the airbox so there is more air coming in . This works well unless you car its still under warranty 

Its easy enough job and if you can always put it back on if need to

You should always try to source air from a cold source. Cooler the temperature the more dense air is therefore you get more air in the business part of the engine which results in more bang!! So I would use the hose as Mr Q said.

However, loving Piotrs' idea on how to increase induction noise. Good tip that mate!!👍

16 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

If you want more sound there is an easy way of removing plastic and the mesh from the original audi airbox filet housing with acts as sound proofing also you can gut out the butterfly flap on the back of the airbox so there is more air coming in . This works well unless you car its still under warranty 

Its easy enough job and if you can always put it back on if need to

Hi Piotr,

Do you have any experience with this or could you please let me know how I would go about describing this to a mechanic?

Many Thanks,

14 minutes ago, Raza_300 said:

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies you're all really helpful!

I also like Piotr's idea as it means I can keep it stock near enough so I might give this a try.

Your welcome :) glad we could help :)