Oil in the air intake. Breather?

Dzintars

Hello, 

I was just cleaning out my throttle body and noticed oil in the air intake. 

There seems to be some sort of a breather going from underneath the oil cap. 

What is this for? Does it suck air from the bigger hose and let out oil from the smaller? Please see picture.

Sorry I don't know alot. 

Thanks in advance!

20170822_164935.jpg

20170822_164926.jpg

Just now, Dzintars said:

Hello, 

I was just cleaning out my throttle body and noticed oil in the air intake. 

There seems to be some sort of a breather going from underneath the oil cap. 

What is this for? Does it suck air from the bigger hose and let out oil from the smaller? Please see picture.

Sorry I don't know alot. 

Thanks in advance!

20170822_164935.jpg

20170822_164926.jpg

What I found here was a lot of electric tape used to hold the two together so I've added a plastic bottle on the bigger hose and connected the smaller back to the air in take but thinking about it now I should've done the opposite. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, there are a couple of ways that oil can get into the throttle body pipe.  Typically the camshaft cover has a vent pipe to send air that has been pressurised by the process of the engine running back into the inlet.  This is normal and no cause for concern.  Excessive oil can mean that the cylinder bores are worn and there is 'blow by'.  There is normally an oil trap of some description, but time and lack of servicing can defeat this.  You're doing the right thing by reconnecting the pipe.  An air leak in this location will typically lead to idling problems.

The other, more worrying source of the oil can be a leak from the turbo bearings.  This is always difficult and expensive to fix.  Good luck!