1.8t Oil consumption

nsallabank

Hi all

New to the Audi scene, my wife bought a A3 1.8t 10plate earlier in the year but it's drinking more oil than me at a free bar. 

Its under warrenty from the garage we bought it from, the first time we took it back they replaced the turbo, but it's been back twice since and they've been unable to say why it's losing oil. They rang Audi last week and apparently Audi told them that this engine just uses alot of oil. 

Has as anyone else had a problem with this engine, as I think topping up 2L oil every 4 week is excessive. 

Neil

• 3 years later...

We've just purchased a 2010 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI hatchback with 65K on the clock. We had a low oil light just after purchase and sent it to our Euro guru for a service thinking it was just low on oil. Service said the engine had good compression and no external leaks. Yesterday after travelling only 100km the low oil light came on and the dip stick showed not much oil. The exhaust has thick black soot although it does not blow smoke!

Any ideas?

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2021 at 1:23 AM, Randal said:

We've just purchased a 2010 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI hatchback with 65K on the clock. We had a low oil light just after purchase and sent it to our Euro guru for a service thinking it was just low on oil. Service said the engine had good compression and no external leaks. Yesterday after travelling only 100km the low oil light came on and the dip stick showed not much oil. The exhaust has thick black soot although it does not blow smoke!

Any ideas?

Hi Randall

I've got exactly the same problem on an A3 1.8tfsi 2010 I bought in good faith last September. Although now I've got the very quickly wrecked spark plugs too!  Love to know what happened to your A3?!

Thanks Joe

Hello Joseph,

Sorry to hear of your not-uncommon- with-this-year oil consumption issue. 
Apologies for the negative response, but I’m left wondering why it has taken some 4 months for you to notice this issue, when if it had been noticed within the first month, there would have been a possibility of some redress from the seller. 
As I see it, there doesn’t seem to be an economically viable alternative to just pouring oil into it, changing plugs and keeping everything crossed at MOT time.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Joe,

I would have thought you would have had redress through eBay, even if the trader was being awkward about it. However, descriptions are sometimes being written to effect ‘Starts, drives, stops’, and in that case you kiss goodbye to any warranty - unless it doesn’t actually do all of these. Of course, we are not sure how your car was described, but whatever, it’s too late now, and all we can do is to sympathise with your plight. 
Let’s hope the loss isn’t too great. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 1:39 AM, Joey3000 said:

Hi Randall

I've got exactly the same problem on an A3 1.8tfsi 2010 I bought in good faith last September. Although now I've got the very quickly wrecked spark plugs too!  Love to know what happened to your A3?!

Thanks Joe

Same here - spark plugs as well... Ended up with misfire on one cylinder and a limp mode break down. Grrr. AA guy reckoned they were heavily carboned (the spark plugs) due to oil burning. Others say that's usually because it's running rich. Getting it looked into soon (and hope it's not the dreaded piston rings issue). One recent thought, did we all panic with E10 fuel and go too high with the octane level fuel? Saying this as most other cars I see with blackened tail pipes are often performance cars.
Mine's a 59 plate A3 1.8T Sportback, btw. Cheers:)