Calipers - Powder Coating

A3 SLine

Hi All,

I’m new to the website and will be grateful for some advice. 

I own an Audi A3 (2015) S Line. I purchased the car from New. My calipers and brake rotor have corrosion. From my research, I understand Audi do not make their own brakes.

I have raised this with Audi dealership as a dissatisfied customer and they stated the corrosion could have been caused by use of chemicals when taking my car for a wash. In addition, they stated this is not covered by my warranty! This really annoyed me, so requested to speak to a manager and asked for the comments of not being covered under my warranty to be placed in writing and posted to me.

I couldn’t believe what Audi stated, considering I paid over £25,000 for my car and did not expect corrosion on my calipers and brake rotor within one year which was spotted by my work colleagues who were also surprised, considering the car was new!

Finally, Audi stated as a good will gesture and only a one off they will spray the brake rotor (centre piece). No action was taken for the calipers. 

Currently, I’m in my final year for the warranty. Yes, as you have guessed, brake rotor and calipers have corrosion. Spray job by Audi didn’t help and look a lot worse than before.

I would appreciate if anyone can advise where I can get my calipers powder coated and also brake rotor (centre piece). Alternatively, I’m happy to purchase new brake rotors which are protected if need be. I live in Birmingham and would prefer someone local and recommended.

I have posed the same question to a company called ‘Bigg Red Ltd’ who advised they would only do the front calipers. Reply: “...We would only be able to do the front calipers as the rears are electronic....”

I also posed another question, whether the calipers would be powder coated as this was my preferred choice. Response: “...We use an enamel stove finish. This gets wet sprayed on and then baked on in an oven...”

I will post the pictures of the current state over the weekend. I will appreciate if anyone can advise where I can get my calipers powder coated and also brake rotor (only centre piece). I look forward to any input. 

Thanks for reading my lengthy thread. 

Hello Amjid,

Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with Audi, but I guess you will be aware that Audi - as with all other volume manufactures- are simply assemblers of vehicles, using parts supplied by a variety of suppliers.

One question:- You mention taking the car for a wash. Do you do this, and if so do they use a jet wash? 

As annoying as this is, I think it is very common to find surface rust on the brake discs ( the Americans call them rotors) on cars of your age or younger. Corrosion on the calipers? Depends on how the car (wheels) have been cleaned. 

Appreciting that brake calipers get hot, you are probably aware that the process of powder coating involves oven treatment to cure the coating. 

Judging by the number of cars I see with gaudy painted calipers ( tarty and boy racer in my book!,  but I'm of a different generation) you could follow suit and tidy your up by this DIY process I guess. Probably less hassle than doing battle with Audi.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. My comments may be moderated when we see the photos.

• Thanks 1

It will be intresting to know do you clean the car yourself ? What wheel cleaning products you use ? 

Or are you using a hand carwash ? Are you using the same one most of the times ? 

Calipers and hubs will rust in time, but not after a year 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your reply. I take the car to a local car wash who use a jet wash. Since Audi resprayed I began to use an alternative car wash and have asked them to ensure they don’t use chemicals as suggested by Audi. This may possibly cause the corrosion.

hopefully, I will upload the pictures over the weekend.

Thanks for your reply niedzial1983

Car is taken to a local car wash who use a jet wash. I have changed the car wash since Audi resprayed, however same issue has re appeared.

Yes I agree. They will rust over time but not literally within one year!

3 hours ago, A3 SLine said:

Thanks for your reply niedzial1983

Car is taken to a local car wash who use a jet wash. I have changed the car wash since Audi resprayed, however same issue has re appeared.

Yes I agree. They will rust over time but not literally within one year!

A local car wash , next time when you go there , check as they pre spray wheels with a product... hand car wash makes their money on volume so i bet they are using acid base wheel cleaner as its quicker ! This wil cause rust quickly . Next time you are there ask them what chemicals they are using and ask to see the lables , i bet they are not ph neutral !

Hello Amjid,

Car wash and jet lances! -  there is your answer, and I would not be surprised if next year you will be posting on here for advice because your paintwork is showing signs of milky white patches in places. 

I have made such comments on here before, and in my opinion there is no substitute for the DIY bucket and wax shampoo treatment, but appreciate folks prefer to pay their £5/10 and sit back and watch some jet wash lance wealding individual wreck their car in the longer term. Most of them use truckclean type chemicals which if not correctly diluted ( which it seldom is) will actually take the skin off your hands. 

"......asked them to ensure they don't use chemicals as suggested by Audi" ! 

Puts me in mind of a friend with a really nice BMW which is main dealer serviced up to the hilt and is never dirty because it always gets washed once a week whether it needs it or not. This beautiful electric blue car started to show milky patches a couple if years ago. His action :- "Go easy on the chemicals chaps"

Kind regards,

Gareth.

The calipers were more than likely powder coated originally. I worked for 30 years for a powder coating company that supplied component manufacturers. The epoxy coating has great chemical resistance so providing the pretreatment and curing conditions are correct the calipers should not be affected by cleaning products, certainly not this soon.