Worn Clutch? Any thoughts

Luey

Hey everyone,

So I reckon my clutch is going but I would rather someone with more experience confirm my suspicions

• The clutch feels very dull, it is very hard to pinpoint a bite point.
  • It feels as if the clutch makes contact lower on the pedal action but doesn't grip until much higher up.
  • The clutch takes a long time to engage when pulling away, car does not like to pull away at speed.
  • I have found it hard to change gears on a couple of occasions on cold mornings.
  • It may have slipped a couple times but I am not certain:
    • I have been driving up a hill before in a high gear suddenly to find a loss of power and a grinding sound, which immediately stopped when pressing the clutch pedal in.
    • I have also been driving in a high gear and heard a similar grinding sound when forced to brake suddenly. Assuming again sudden drop in speed caused slip. 
  • I believe the flywheel is probably also pretty weak as the car doesn't feel smooth between gear changes or pulling away.

I got a couple quotes already none of which are cheap... because Quattro... 

I just want some validation before I bite the bullet. 

A worn clutch usually has a high bite point and it slips, i.e the engine revs but the road speed does not increase. Furthermore  I have never heard of a worn clutch making any noise. None of which is to say your clutch is not worn, but I suspect something else is going on.