Parking brake malfunction help required

n18lld

Just returned to the car to find the parking brake holding firm. Can hear the brake motors running when pushing/pulling the button but brake stuck on and malfunction warning on the dash. This is the third occasion this has happened in my 2 weeks of ownership. Once I left it overnight and all was ok and the other I kept trying until it released via the switch after an hour. This time I’m not so lucky. Any advice please.

Right . It could be a number of things . Most common is broken plug on one of the motors. Also it could be wiring loom issue or broken motor itself . Best way to check is with vcds scan for faults .  it could be also the button itself 

Or

1. Check if both wheel motors are working . Simly listen to each side and get someone to apply the brake.

Let us know if both motors are working 

6 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

Right . It could be a number of things . Most common is broken plug on one of the motors. Also it could be wiring loom issue or broken motor itself . Best way to check is with vcds scan for faults .  it could be also the button itself 

Or

1. Check if both wheel motors are working . Simly listen to each side and get someone to apply the brake.

Let us know if both motors are working 

I found somewhere online that there’s a control module in the boot for this under the tool kit. Stuck my hand in and gave an angry tug so the brake released. I was in Manchester at the time and keen to get home to Glasgow. I will try and get the toolbox out and reconnect the control unit on Saturday when I can get som daylight. I’ve a Foxwell VAG tool also so will go through all your checks and report back then. Thanks for your speedy reply.

Not deserted this thread guys. Just busy at work. Plugged in the control module again and parking break working again as it should. Tried it a dozen times and working ok.....for now I’m sure.

Fault code read was 

Control Module for Elect Park Hand Brake (J540) - sporadic.     008 - implausible Signal

Fault reappeared yesterday without actually using the parking brake. Got home to find I also couldn’t turn off the engine now! Key out, ignition off but engine still running and air con also. Had to pull the fuse for the engine management system to stop the engine running but air con still blowing. Now parked up with the battery disconnected. Not a happy lad.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Turns put the brake issue was a faulty caliper. Engine running issue was a faulty aftermarket Parrot kit back feeding the steering column. Add in a faulty ignition switch and safe to say I’m skint for a while. It’s been an expensive introduction to Audi ownership.