Acceleration problem

Me?

Hi all

This morning, I had a long journey, travelling the best part of 200 miles. Basically all the way there, the car (A4, 57 plate s-line) wouldn't go above 60. It got to 60 slowly and then it was as though it was electronically limited to it. Then after about 15 mins, it would speed up slowly again, and then come back down. I tried it in a lower gear and, moving back up again, it still revved as expected, but wouldn't accelerate properly. No warning lights showed up. On the way back, it was absolutely fine and everything was back to normal, so I am hoping it's nothing major. Anybody else ever had this? Any idea what it could be?

Should add, I'm guessing it was something to do with the snow overnight. It snowed quite heavily where I am overnight, but I did give the car 5-10 mins of "warming up" too. It's the only thing that I can think of though.

It sounds like 'limp mode'. If it does this again, pull over and switch engine off and then restart it. If it drives normal again it really does point to a fault causing it to go to limp mode. Unless you left the handbrake on???

even though you didn't see a warning light it my be worth having the codes read to see if a fault code has been logged.

Thanks dan. What's limp mode? If there is a problem again, there's a couple of local garages who I trust, so I'll let them have a look.

Yeah I considered pulling over and restarting, but I just got the feeling that it might not restart, and I was on my way to a job interview so didn't want to be stranded. I definitely didn't leave the handbrake on, I thought I may have at first too so remember making sure clutch pedal wasn't down, handbrake was free etc.