Rear mounted camera

Joe Cott

Not sure where to put this post so here we are.

I want to install a rear camera on the A3 as well as the existing forward dash cam. 

On my MX5 Mk3 there was room to have the camera with sucker mounted on the rear glass & I could still drop the hood without it interfering with anything in the folded fabric.

So that's my question; 

Has anyone mounted a cam on the rear glass of an A3 cabrio & is there any room for it when folded?

Alternately, has anyone a suggestion for mounting it anywhere else? (bearing in mind that the rearward view is pretty restricted anyway)

look forward to any ideas

I have just realised what a stupid question I asked because the hood is down every time the sun comes out so hiding the camera. :withstupid:

But; the question still stands on suggestions please as to where the best mount point is on a cabrio 

TA:wink:

• 5 months later...

Noted this was posted January and you may have found a solution by now but i have a number plate light mounted rear view camara on my 2009 a3 cabriolet and the view is great, plenty online sellers out there and not that expensive,hope this helps

hey David, thanks for info.

I actually gave up the idea but never thought of that location, will have a look. cheers, :thumbup:

Aye Joe camera was already fitted to my car when i bought it,garage that sold me car had no idea it was there and there was also a rear view morror monitor fitted over original mirror they hadnt noticed either,i think because it wasnt working is the reason they didnt see it,i first noticed the mirror when i adjusted the mirror and it came of in my hand but the wire held it in place(original mirror still in place) that got me thinking what this was and googled it turns out it was a rear view mirror with monitor so i looked at rear for a camera low and behold i found it disguised as a number plate light with light too,i then got to work on finding out why it wasnt working,turns out camers was already wired to reverse wires and had a transmitter  attached,the monitor was hardwired to interior lights but had no reciever so i had a couple of video cables hanging around the house so joined them together via crimps and good old insulating tape to give me enough length to run it through boot along the car floor up into dash along windscreen and along the top where interior lights are plugged the other video end into monitor put ignition on car into reverse and up came the picture clear as day,a right result i think!

Blimey, sounds like fun...... sort of 

found a cople of useful cams on line complete with 6 metres of cable so should be enough for the job. going to read up on it first then decide.

cheers