Replacement Xenon bulbs

Stu3385

Hi all

My first post and my first Audi! 

I have just bought a stunning 2010 Audi A6 S Line Special Edition 2.0TDI in ibis white. Its Immaculate in and out. 

However, its has the full works including Xenons. But they are mega dim!!!! The beam is brilliant, but really dim!!  I would say worse than halogens!! 

So I want to replace the bulbs and saw that HIDS Direct do them at a very good price. 

I cant be bothered to fit them myself, so spoke to a mechanic I know and asked him if he would fit them. He sed yes, but make sure you get them from Audi, as hes seen others burn out in a week or two and wreck the ballasts due to incorrect codes on the bulbs or something  

So I call Audi and Im thinking £50-80 a bulb  . They want £181 PER BULB!!!!!! I cant pay that for bulbs!!!

Can anyone confirm whether they have heard of this issue and/or recommend bulbs. Thanks everyone 

Hello Stuart, 

I think your mechanic's advice is sound, and it seems to be common knowledge that auction sites are awash with cheap replica bulbs which just do not last, and indeed I have read ( fact??) that there are even fakes of well respected brand names. You can of course take a chance and hope you get the service life you hope for, but a chance it might be. 

OK, Audi want £181 per bulb for this luxury car - possibly contributing to the reason why these cars are so expensive when new. Luxury doesn't come cheap! 

A positive alternative may be to try Halfords for example - they may be cheaper- but I doubt you will have anything more than a guarantee of 1year's service life - same as Audi I guess. If you do decide to buy your bulbs with them then personally, I would have them to fit them (forget about their fitting cost compared with your mechanic) so that you don't adversely affect your guarantee.  

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth

Thanks for your reply. 

But i was thinking of buying the osram or phillips brand. 

Have you heard of these branded bulbs destroying ballasts?! Surely not. 

Stu

Hello Stuart,

Apparently ( and you need to do your own research) Osram was at least one of the brands subject to faking - Philips?- hence my suggestion to go to Halfords where you would have some warranty against such things. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi everyone

Because of what you said paul, I went to Halfords. 

However, its only on there normal bulbs (which are massively overpriced anyway) and not on xenon bulbs. 

Im going to buy some online. Probs phillips. I called a couple of different companies and they said they have never heard of ballasts burning out etc, only if you buy eBay crap. 

Has anyone bought DS3 replacements on here? 

Paul thats a normal headlight HID STYLE bulb. Not a proper xenon bulb. 

I have just ordered two Philips xtreme vision 150% more light DS3 bulbs. 20% off at powerbulbs. Usually £95-105 each. Got two bulbs for £168. 

@niedzial1983 as i have not replaced my bulbs is it safe to say i have standard xenon  bulbs if so our cars are almost the same so will the osram nightbrakers d2s 6000k fit my car as the bumper is off i have access to the headlamps and can replace them

1 hour ago, Paul A6 said:

@niedzial1983 as i have not replaced my bulbs is it safe to say i have standard xenon  bulbs if so our cars are almost the same so will the osram nightbrakers d2s 6000k fit my car as the bumper is off i have access to the headlamps and can replace them

Paul from the pic of your car i can see you dont have xenons . You have halogen headlights 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Midds said:

Stu3385, Did the new bulbs sort out your dim headlights issue? I've got the same issue.

To be honest, after spending £168, I wasnt jmpressed. A bit better, but not amazing. I wouldnt advise anyone to spend silly money on new bulbs like I did. 

Anyway. On 7th october, some scumbag broke in whilst I was in bed and nicked my wallet, keys and nicked the car. It was stunning. I was gutted. The only thing he left behind was my police warrant card (Im a cop). !Removed!. 

I got paid out quite quickly and didnt want to spend all the cash. I bought a Fiesta ST. So I now longer own an Audi. Sad times.