A8 LWB purchase

The Sat Diver

Hi guys ..

Been a while since I was on here last but .. I am now looking at the purchase of a 2012 LWB A8 HYBRID with 54k miles on the clock .. only been to look at it no test drive as yet .. and it's gorgeous

I'm sure you have been asked this same question lots of times before but forums are full of knowledge and advice .. apart from the tiny boot space no spare wheel and 4 cylinder engine are there any major downsides to this model ??

My main concern really at this mileage with a Hybrid is it coming close to a "major service" ? .. for instance the Lexus RX450 hybrid is an £800 service after 60k miles or 6 years and i'm thinking this A8 may be similar .. I would rather not be buying a £20k car then finding out it needs a further large sum spent on it after the deals done

Any advice would be most welcome as always

Malcolm

Hey Malcolm, you're making a great choice. The D4 a8 is a gorgeous car :) 

Obviously with any purchase check the service history and ideally this should be full especially on Audi's flag ship model. 

Obviously make sure all electronic items work as some of them can be expensive to fix. This goes for the headlights which will use HID bulbs which are £180 per bulb approx. The a8 you're looking at my also have adaptive cruise control. This is great when it's working but any faults can be very expensive to fix. Bills to repair this can run into hundreds or even thousands of pounds depending on fault. It also requires a 4 wheel alignment for recalibration.

Also make sure that the auto gearbox changes gears smoothly in auto and manual mode as any issues can be expensive to fix. 

With the kind of money you are spending it's probably worth you getting an independent inspection carried out. Companies such as the AA and RAC offer this service. If the seller is reluctant or refuses an independent inspection to be carried out then you have to wonder what they or the car has to hide. 

Most likely the a8 you're looking at has Quattro and it is important that this works correctly as quattro is a sensitive system and can be damaged by factors such as uneven tyre wear,/miss matched tyres on the same axle. In light of this make sure the tyres are wearing evenly and the tyres match on the axle. 

Most a8 vehicles were personalised by the first owner and certain options are rare and nice to have such as rear tv screens but it's better to find a car with the option then looking at getting it fitted at a later date. This is because it may not be financially viable/sensible to get options retro fitted. 

I've also found this YouTube video which may offer you further advice :) 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

Steve .. Well that's a great start thanks a lot .. unfortunately my Q7 has cost me an awful lot in repairs .. but I just love this car and as you say with a flagship model repair bills are going to be sky high I think a second look over and a test drive this time then make my mind up

Thanks a lot for the input

Malcolm

10 hours ago, The Sat Diver said:

Steve .. Well that's a great start thanks a lot .. unfortunately my Q7 has cost me an awful lot in repairs .. but I just love this car and as you say with a flagship model repair bills are going to be sky high I think a second look over and a test drive this time then make my mind up

Thanks a lot for the input

Malcolm

You're welcome, glad I could help :) 

Please keep us posted on how you get on or if you need any more advice :) 

Cheers

Steve