Audi a3 1.8 tfsi (2009-2011) Is it reliable?

george2ps

Hello, I am an owner of an audi a3 1.6 2007 for 5 years now and I have been very happy about how reliable and durable this car is. Right now I am thinking to make an upgrade to an audi a3 again with the 1.8 or 2.0 tfsi engine from 2009-2011. Are these engine reliable and durable enough? will I have any major problems with them?

Welcome to the forum George, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

As with any car I'd check the service history to see how well maintained the car is. I'd also check to see if the cambelt and water pump has been changed as it will be due by now. 

Obviously make sure all electronic items work as well as the air con as some parts can be expensive to fix. If the car you're looking at has xenon headlights then make sure the lights are working as bulbs can cost approx £180 each. 

With regard to the gearbox make sure that there isn't any crunching when changing gears and all gear changes are smooth. If you are looking at an auto the make sure the gears change smoothly in both manual and automation modes as any faults can be expensive to fix. 

Here's a couple of YouTube videos which maybe useful: 

Also we have a thread on the forum called Audi's from around the world. We'd love to see pictures of your a3 in Cyprus! Here's the link to the thread: 

Hope I've helped  :) 

Cheers

Steve