A8 dilemma

Gaz64

Hi

having ventured over from the world of MB for advice on an A8\S8...

These are luxury cars and I’m going to spend top whack £8k so apart from the shock of parts and repair prices what would my major worries be?

given the tightening of the MOT testing rules is a 4.2 TDI worth a look or one to avoid? This was my preferred option but I’m not averse to the 4.2 FSI.

ive looked at an S8 and despite the increased consumption it’s not unaffordable over 16-18000 miles a year...

so diesel or not? Given my major concern is the new stricter emission test?

Welcome to the forum Gary, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

As long as the a8 diesel engine is in good condition you should be fine e for passing the emissions tests as long as the DPF is fitted and working along with the cats. Also you are not allowed to have the engine management light on anymore or have any oil leaks as these are now major fails. 

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve over in the MB forum people are saying get the 4.2 Quatro over a 320 cdi S class if your going for diesel but go for the merc in petrol... I’ve even liked at a 5.2 S6... the grin factor alone would  be worth it 

10 hours ago, Gaz64 said:

Cheers Steve over in the MB forum people are saying get the 4.2 Quatro over a 320 cdi S class if your going for diesel but go for the merc in petrol... I’ve even liked at a 5.2 S6... the grin factor alone would  be worth it 

The 5.2 s6 engine is a detuned version of what they put in the rs6 and Lamborghini Gallardo. It's a lovely sounding engine! And I agree it would put a smile on my face too, it's just the economy factor which is why I drive diesel.