A6 Allroad, good buy or expensive risk?

David Martin

Our hunt for a well specified A6 Avant continues with little new or interesting on the main selling sites. I want a 3 litre engine (petrol preferred although diesel will be acceptable) ,automatic, heated leather, Satnav and preferably memory seats

I have noticed a fair number of Allroad vehicles for sale, apart from the body mouldings is the only difference between these and a standard Avant the air suspension? I assume that the main risks with this version are the airbags, compressor and airlines in terms of potentially expensive failures? In terms of age I am looking at 2008 onwards.

Any owners comments very welcome!

Many thanks.

David

Hi David,

I looked at the Allroad when I bought my current A6 Avant and it was the air suspension that put me off. I have previously had a Range Rover with air suspension and when it went wrong it was eye wateringly expensive. Unless you think you really need the extra ground clearance I would go for the standard A6 Avant.

Regards

Alex

• Thanks 1

Alex

Thank you.

That was my feeling.

We have a Range Rover but fortunately the previous owner had carried out a lot of work on the suspension with new air bags and compressor !Clearance is handy as we tow a horsebox occasionally but the RR is staying for the foreseeable future.

Regards

David

57 minutes ago, David Martin said:

Alex

Thank you.

That was my feeling.

We have a Range Rover but fortunately the previous owner had carried out a lot of work on the suspension with new air bags and compressor !Clearance is handy as we tow a horsebox occasionally but the RR is staying for the foreseeable future.

Regards

David

If you want the ability of allroad without the air suspension risk then you could look at the a4 allroad as this has conventional coilsprings and dampers but with a higher ride height 🙂 the a4 allroad will come with quattro and same engine options as the a6, the only downside is that it is slightly smaller.

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I've had 2 Allroads, the last one was just a few months ago.

Brilliant cars, but ... very expensive to maintain.

if you can get warranty on it via one of the extended warranty companies, then at least you would have that back up. That's what I did with the first buy.

in the end, mine went back because the garage renaiged on the repairs so I told them to shove it.

I bought an S Line in the end, nice, but not a patch on the allroad