Engine managment light

Tony_K

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 2015 A6 Avant automatic. Im having trouble with the engine management light coming on intermittently and the error message saying start / stop system disabled. The issue only happens in the morning or when i haven't driven the car for a while and i begin to accelerate hard or drop a gear say to catch an amber light or overtake a truck. once i turn the car off/on and accelerate normally the light stays off. If im driving the car for about 10 - 15 minutes ill have no issues at all no matter how hard i accelerate. Anybody else come across an issue like this. 

Thanks for your help.

Tony.

Hello Tony,

Sorry to hear of your issues. A couple of pointers to perhaps follow:- 

Did you check before purchase/ since purchase, if the car has been subjected to an emissions recall? Such EML -on  problems have been noted following recalls. See under this heading on the forum.

Re. Stop/start - Worth checking that the battery is the original and is still in serviceable condition (as it should be at 3 years old). It is possible that the battery has been swopped pre sale for an older less serviceable one.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

HI Gareth,

Thanks for the help. Ill try and check with my local dealer if the car would be subject to a re-call and i might have a look at the battery myself. the car was bought from a reputable dealer with full digital service history so i think the battery might be OK i wouldn't see any need to swap i out but worth a look i suppose. My gut feeling is that it is something to do with emissions hence only happening when accelerating. perhaps its a sensor issue. 

Thanks again,

Tony.