A6 overheated??

Jim70

Hi all, I've just joined the group and wonder if anyone can help. 

I recently bought a cracking 2014 A6 S line black edition 2.0l diesel ultra from Arnold Clark. The car has only just done 20k miles and is in immaculate condition. About 2 weeks ago the temperature light came on just after 10-15 mins driving and it came up on the dash to stop the car until it cooled. I didn't stop as I was on the motorway but let the car cruise about 60 mph. It cooled after about 15 mins and the light went off and it's never done it since. I've had the car back at Arnold Clark and they didn't find anything. Has anyone had any issues with overheating? I'm just concerned as I only have 3 months warranty with the car and don't want an expensive bill after the warranty has expired. Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forums James

Nice friendly atmosphere here with plenty of Audi owners to help where they can.

If its only happened once in the last 2 weeks it may just of been a glitch, is your temp gauge showing very high when the car is idle or on the go?

as for the warranty should it happen again make sure you take photos to show Arnold Clark.

i`m sure someone will pop along shortly with more advice 

Please be sure to give the forum rules a quick view

Paul

Hello James,

Could you let us know what the temperature gauge was showing when the light came on? Can we take it that the gauge was reading above normal and had risen gradually from normal before the light came on? 

When you say the light hasn't come in since, does this mean the temperature gauge has remained at normal (not a bit above) during its subsequent use? 

Sine you have only recently bought the car, have you thought about contacting the previous registered keeper to enquire whether there has been any previous experience of this issue during their ownership? All good background knowledge. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello James,

Could you let us know what the temperature gauge was showing when the light came on? Can we take it that the gauge was reading above normal and had risen gradually from normal before the light came on? 

When you say the light hasn't come in since, does this mean the temperature gauge has remained at normal (not a bit above) during its subsequent use? 

Sine you have only recently bought the car, have you thought about contacting the previous registered keeper to enquire whether there has been any previous experience of this issue during their ownership? All good background knowledge. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth, thanks for your reply. 

It's not got a temperature gauge as such. It's a series of little lights between the numbers 50----90----130 and it has a temperature light just next to this. The temperature normally sits around 90 in normal running but on that day after driving for around 10 mins the lights were up at 130 and the red temperature light came on and a message on the dash came up telling me to stop the car. 

It hasn't risen since and the little lights has only ever came on to the 90 mark. 

The dealer said it came from Crewe Audi and I've contacted them but they couldn't really tell me much. 

I've put a photo of the temperature indicator below. 

Cheers

20180705_181321.jpg

7 hours ago, Paul A6 said:

Welcome to the forums James

Nice friendly atmosphere here with plenty of Audi owners to help where they can.

If its only happened once in the last 2 weeks it may just of been a glitch, is your temp gauge showing very high when the car is idle or on the go?

as for the warranty should it happen again make sure you take photos to show Arnold Clark.

i`m sure someone will pop along shortly with more advice 

Please be sure to give the forum rules a quick view

Paul

Hi Paul, sorry I missed your message, still trying to navigate this site. It took me long enough to put a new post up 🙈.

Hopefully it has just been a glitch and it doesn't give me any problems as the car is great in every way 👍

It's only ever done it that one time while i was driving and the temp seemed to rise very quickly from cold. I'm thinking it may have been a wee air lock in the cooling system 🤔🤔. Yeah if it happens again I will get photos but fingers crossed it's all ok. 

Thanks mate and yeah I'll get a wee look at the forum rules once I find how to lol 👍

• Like 1

Could have been an Airlock, another cause of a temporary Overheat will be a sticking thermostat. 

Any sign of a drop of coolant in the header tank / expansion bottle? If there was an Airlock this would cause a drop in fluid level. 

Sometimes these cars sit a while waiting for the milage to average out before going out to market although yours is bucking that trend. How long since you have had the car did the OH happen? Had you been on any extended runs before? 

Check the quality of the coolant too - should be fairly clear with no emulsion collecting in the expansion bottle and no particles floating. 

On 7/6/2018 at 2:24 PM, Envy said:

Could have been an Airlock, another cause of a temporary Overheat will be a sticking thermostat. 

Any sign of a drop of coolant in the header tank / expansion bottle? If there was an Airlock this would cause a drop in fluid level. 

Sometimes these cars sit a while waiting for the milage to average out before going out to market although yours is bucking that trend. How long since you have had the car did the OH happen? Had you been on any extended runs before? 

Check the quality of the coolant too - should be fairly clear with no emulsion collecting in the expansion bottle and no particles floating. 

Hi mate, yeah I was thinking a possible air lock too but not sure if or how that can happen on a sealed system 🤔.

There didn't seem to be any loss of coolant and it's a light pink colour so I'm assuming that is ok. I only had the car about 10 days before the problem occurred and I'm assuming it had been sitting for a period of time before I got it. I drive the car on motorways and A roads at varying speeds/revs as normal. 

It's not happened again but if anything comes to light I'll be sure to let you all know. 

Thanks very much for all the help guys 👍👍