Audi A4 Tdi S Line 2014 - Squeak Squeak HELP!

Benjamin

Dear all,

As you were all so fantastic regarding my last problem I encountered some months ago, I wanted to return and ask for your expert advice once again.

For the past week or so I have noticed a slight irritating squeaking noise that appears only when the car is moving and once warmed up, the reason I have heard this is because i very much live in the countryside where there are narrow lanes and tall hedgerows either side; the car noises are deflected where as on the open road it's difficult to make out what's road noise and what's the car itself.

To describe this in more detail, the squeaking starts once warmed up and seems to increase and decrease in speed with the MPH. It's coming from the rear, nearside of the car and I'm assuming as the noise picks up with the revolutions, the wheel itself. I haven't really pushed the sound testing as it's difficult to differentiate between the wind noise at higher speeds but at lower speeds it remains but does not increase in pitch, it's a constant squeaking. 

It almost sounds as if something is rubbing, metal to metal as it's that kind of audible pitch of sound.

Now the tyres themselves have only clocked between 2,000 - 3,000 miles as I had the front two replaced 4 months ago and the rear around 3 months ago; all Continental Premium Contact 6's.

It has 43,000 on the clock and serviced (Audi Long Life 2 years/20,000 miles) 6,000 miles ago.

I haven't had anything checked out yet as business is busy and I would need to schedule a trip to my Audi MD.

If you guys (or girls) could give me any pointers or comments I'd be most appreciative, I have looked around and under the car when washing it on Sunday afternoon but cannot see anything impaired, visually.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin, 

Sorry to hear of your issue. I'm wondering if you have a sticking brake caliper causing the brakes to be one all the time? 

Definitely doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to be honest. 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, much appreciated.

I know! The last issue I had was NSF wheel bearing and the low droonnnnnneeeeeeee of that is certainly different to this irritating squeak! Now that you've said that, it makes more sense. 

Do you think it would be worthwhile in just taking it in for the garage to investigate further?

Further information, I did check all wheels on Sunday for pad depth and they appear to be well within their respective allowance.

I know that it at the moment, it isn't hindering my drive but as always (and with everything), I like to be proactive rather than letting things deteriorate unnecessarily.

If it were to be the caliper, is there any particular reason this happens or is it simply due to degradation of the part?

Thank you once again, I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Hello Benjamin,

I think you are right in not ignoring odd noises. The car is trying to tell you something, and yes it's important to find out what it is. 

So you have established that the noise is coming from the N/S rear - that is a good step forward. Now cause? 

Steve points you in the direction of some possibilities, and if I read it correctly you are a 'get someone to look at it' owner rather than a 'get the spanners out' one, and that is fine. A good trusted local garage should be able to establish the cause for you. The old ideal way of spinning this wheel to replicate the noise was the dynamic on-car wheel balancer, but unfortunately this is now a defunct way of doing it. 

If I was looking at it and cannot replicate the noise by manually spinning the wheel, I would be removing the brake pads and thoroughly inspecting to see if there is anything there to account for it. Another possibility could be a rusted back plate (and they do rust!) which has started to break up and 'expands' to touch the disc. I notice your car is only 4 years old, so it's probably OK, but... 

Noise gets worse when the car has warned up? This is a bit confusing, but I'm sure the answer will be a simple one. 

Perhaps you could let usxknow how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Good afternoon Gareth,

Thank you very much for your reply, it's just one of those noises that is both irritating and as I don't know what it is, makes me even more suspicious.

Steve has indeed lent his expert advice as far as my explanation gave and certainly something to remain mindful of.

Yes, indeed and although technically mindful and achieving an Electro Technical PhD in recent years, I'm still always apprehensive when toying around with cars; mostly because of the safety aspect and not being entirely comfortable with the procedure.

I have scheduled an appointment into Audi MD for this coming Saturday and so hopefully they will advise on the root cause. As you mentioned Gareth, my car is indeed only just over 4 years old and as I have looked after the car well (avoiding harsh wheels cleaners etc.) it would be extremely unfortunate to be met with that degree of rust.

The noise itself only is heard once the car has warmed up, for example; if i leave the car overnight and make my commute to work the following morning, it isn't until the car has traveled around 10 miles before the noise can be heard. 

I hope that makes sense.

As I said, I have the car booked in this weekend and I shall definitely return back with a diagnosis and subsequent repair, fingers crossed.

Thank you for your help Gareth, much appreciated as always.

Kind regards,

Benjamin  

• 2 years later...