Scary Shaking When I Accelerate!

SebasA3

This just started happening, but I cannot stand it because it is seriously scaring and confusing me. Two nights ago, I was driving my 2010 Audi A3 (8P), and when I put my foot on the gas fairly hard, the car started shaking. I had no clue what it was, and I can recreate it when I accelerate harder than usual. I know for sure its not the tires, because it doesn't shake when I drive softly, but as soon as I begin to accelerate faster, it shakes. The car only has 46000 miles, and was kept excellently on the outside, which made me think that there wouldn't be any possible engine problems, but I had a cylinder misfire just 3 or so weeks ago. I don't know if it is related to that. There is no check engine light too, so that only added to the confusion.

Anybody help? It is super weird. Here is a recap to help:

-2010 Audi A3 (8P / DSG / 46k miles)

-Shaking when accelerating harder than normal

-Cylinder 1 misfired 3 or 4 weeks ago. Changed all 4 spark plugs and one ignition coil

-Do not think it is wheels, doesn't shake when coasting

-No CEL going off

Hello Sebastian,

Sorry to hear of your problem. 

Could I ask you:- 

Can you replicate this (severe engine misfire?? -or creating any issue) by just revving the engine with the car stationary and holding the revs? 

If so, at what rpm does the problem start? 

Genuine Audi ignition coil used as replacement? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

The ignition coil that I used to replace was not a genuine Audi part. Could that be the reason why this came back?

Also, I do not understand why the supposed misfires are not sending a Check Engine Light. Last time it popped up.

Whether you have warning light or not is irrelevant. It is evident there is a serious problem which needs to be resolved soon, and if you can't do that yourself you need to find somebody who can.

If there is a misfire the possible causes are many, so there are two approaches to the problem in my view:

[1] Throw money at it by renewing parts at random until you strike lucky.

[2] Get a professional diagnosis and bear the extra cost.

Only you can say which is the better option for you.

I purchased a genuine Audi ignition coil, as well as the DSG oil/oil filter. 

I am about to install them, so hopefully the main problem was the crappy aftermarket ignition coil 🙂

On 8/23/2018 at 8:41 AM, cliffcoggin said:

Whether you have warning light or not is irrelevant. It is evident there is a serious problem which needs to be resolved soon, and if you can't do that yourself you need to find somebody who can.

If there is a misfire the possible causes are many, so there are two approaches to the problem in my view:

[1] Throw money at it by renewing parts at random until you strike lucky.

[2] Get a professional diagnosis and bear the extra cost.

Only you can say which is the better option for you.

Fixed! Not sure how or why, but when I changed the DSG filter and oil the cylinder that was misfiring finally started actually misfiring, so we changed the ignition coil on it, and the car is back up and purring loud as ever! 

Thanks for the help!

Glad to hear it. Your non Audi coil may not be defective so much as unsuitable in some aspect of its design. Many after market components are compromised in design in an attempt to make them fit as many cars as possible; an attempt that isn't always successful.

10 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Glad to hear it. Your non Audi coil may not be defective so much as unsuitable in some aspect of its design. Many after market components are compromised in design in an attempt to make them fit as many cars as possible; an attempt that isn't always successful.

Dearly noted. I will surely buy straight from Audi next time 🙂 

• 2 months later...