2.0 tdi - strange issues 60 seconds after start up!!!

Lion Heart

Hi guys!

I'm having an issues with my 2.0 TDI. I've posted before, and working for a solution, so thanks for sticking by me if you read mypast post. But a very interesting development...

Basically, I'm getting a rough idle and lots of smoke when COLD (100% fine when warmed up).

Now, the interesting bit...

Having run some tests on this I'm finding that the car is 100% FINE for the first approximately 60 seconds or thereabouts. THEN the rough idle and smoking begins.

When you first fire it up super-smooth, no issues. Wait around 60 seconds, engine shuddering on the idle, and lots of smoke.

No overheating issues, no 'cheese' on the oil cap, pretty sure it's not a head gasket issue.

In the past on a petrol I have leaking valve rings, but that would smoke immediately upon start up. This does not.

If it were injectors it would again do it straight away, not suddenly after 60 seconds.

I thought maybe EGR valve as I believe that is not open when engine first started, but kicks in soon after? I removed the EGR valve and intake manifold, and cleaned both (not too dirty to be fair), tested EGR valve with VAG COM. All good.

So, what kicks in at around 60 seconds AFTER starting the engine that is not active when you first start it?

Here are the video's of my symptoms AFTER the 60 seconds approx:

Thanks guys!

Hi Gareth

Yes, the smoke does have a smell to it. I'm not sure if it's a diesel smell, but I'd say it kind of has a sooty smell to it.

BUt it only starts to smoke and have the idle juddering after approximately 60 seconds of running. During the 60 apporox seconds it's absolutely spot on. And then again when the smoke clears after a couple of minutes and the car is warmed up it's perfect.