Reverse light issue

Mk1ad

Hi

does anybody know why my reverse lights aren’t working properly? I put a new fuse in as there wasn’t one in there when I got it and they seemed ok but then they just stayed on?!

help

Hello  Adam,

I would be suspecting the reverse light switch is at fault, and is remaining 'closed circuit' when not activated by the reverse gear selection. That is why they have taken the fuse out-  so they don't work at all! 

If it proves not to be that then it could be a wiring problem, but check this first. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello  Adam,

I would be suspecting the reverse light switch is at fault, and is remaining 'closed circuit' when not activated by the reverse gear selection. That is why they have taken the fuse out-  so they don't work at all! 

If it proves not to be that then it could be a wiring problem, but check this first. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks alot for your help Gareth, I checked all the fuses today and still the same.. there were other fuses missing also so have put new ones in. Have took the reverse light fuse out now so think I will order a new reverse light switch. Do you know where the switch is located?

thanks

0101F5F7-4123-4ACF-9609-85FCE327D769.jpeg

Hello Adam,

It is always worth checking the fuses to make sure they haven't blown, and indeed to give them a 'wiggle' in the holder to minimise the risk of poor contact.

With regard to 'other fuses missing' , I guess you have consulted the handbook to ensure the 'missing' fuses are for equipment fitted to your car. The fuse board is usually set up to cater for a full range of equipment which can be fitted, but often isn't, so there could appear to be missing fuses when they were never fitted originally. 

Reverse light switch location? :- not sure on your engined car. Often fitted so it gets actioned by the external selector lever position for reverse gear, or sometimes fitted into the gearbox casing to be actioned from inside when reverse is selected. Might be one of those jobs where an hour out with an auto electrician may be worthwhile. The existing switch really needs to be checked for 'switching make and break' before buying another one.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my last car (not an audi). Ended up having to get the switch replaced as it has gone faulty as magnet says.