09 A4 Towbar Electrics

Sailteach2

Hello, 

I recently tried to hitch up a trailor to my A4 1.8 STI. The tow bar and electrics seem to be factory or professionally fitted.

It is very neat, in fact so much so. I am having difficulty in deciding what is the tow bar wiring and what is factory original.

The problem is there is no power to anything. The trailor lights are all dead and nothing can be made to work. I have checked the output socket with a meter and cannot find any life anywhere. I am at a loss as to what to try. I understand there maybe a relay but no sign of it.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:16 PM, Sailteach2 said:

Hello, 

I recently tried to hitch up a trailor to my A4 1.8 STI. The tow bar and electrics seem to be factory or professionally fitted.

It is very neat, in fact so much so. I am having difficulty in deciding what is the tow bar wiring and what is factory original.

The problem is there is no power to anything. The trailor lights are all dead and nothing can be made to work. I have checked the output socket with a meter and cannot find any life anywhere. I am at a loss as to what to try. I understand there maybe a relay but no sign of it.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Andrew, sorry to hear of your issue. I'm assuming you've checked the fuse? I believe the fuse box is on the side of the dash. In failing btgat it might be worth inspecting the wiring bto see if there's any corrosion or breaks in the wire. Or have an auto electrician check it out.

Cheers

Steve