Advice regarding maintenance package

warice

Purchased an Audi A6 saloon under PCH.Just wondered whether its worth taking out an Audi maintenance package that includes servicing and tires at £24 per month for a 2 year period.plan to do 20-25k miles 

Thank you 

All depends on whether or not you want a known cost up front. Whilst that's not a huge mileage, consider how many tyres you will need (probably 2xfront, 1xrear and the cost of these (~£150 each). So tyres on their own@ £900 V £548 in maintenance. That's probably a high estimate but even 4 tyres over the 24 month period is worth the monthly fee.

Hello Warris,

It very much depends on what this maintenance package actually covers - you will need to read the small print and look for what is excluded. It may for example cover what can be termed ‘routine servicing’ but may (in caps.) is exclude wear and tear components such as brake pads and discs - it would surprise me if it does. 

Tyres? Personally, I would be surprised if this actually covers replacing your worn out tyres free of charge - but I could be wrong, and again the small print will give you the full story. My feeling is it covers (accidental) damage to the tyres rather than wear and free replacement. If it’s damage only then of course this cover would be dependent on buying your replacement tyres through the main dealer and the actual cover may be on a pro rata pay out for the amount of tread left rather than a full cost reimbursement. 

It really boils down to sitting down for a half hour and reading through it, and then deciding. Being cynical, the salesman will probably be earning a commission from signing you up to this, but..

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

I appreciate the current culture seems to deal in £s per month, but it might be worth noting that you will be paying £576 for this over the 2 years it covers, so ....

On 6/9/2019 at 1:24 PM, Maxi said:

All depends on whether or not you want a known cost up front. Whilst that's not a huge mileage, consider how many tyres you will need (probably 2xfront, 1xrear and the cost of these (~£150 each). So tyres on their own@ £900 V £548 in maintenance. That's probably a high estimate but even 4 tyres over the 24 month period is worth the monthly fee.

Thank you for your kind reply 

On 6/10/2019 at 9:03 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Warris,

It very much depends on what this maintenance package actually covers - you will need to read the small print and look for what is excluded. It may for example cover what can be termed ‘routine servicing’ but may (in caps.) is exclude wear and tear components such as brake pads and discs - it would surprise me if it does. 

Tyres? Personally, I would be surprised if this actually covers replacing your worn out tyres free of charge - but I could be wrong, and again the small print will give you the full story. My feeling is it covers (accidental) damage to the tyres rather than wear and free replacement. If it’s damage only then of course this cover would be dependent on buying your replacement tyres through the main dealer and the actual cover may be on a pro rata pay out for the amount of tread left rather than a full cost reimbursement. 

It really boils down to sitting down for a half hour and reading through it, and then deciding. Being cynical, the salesman will probably be earning a commission from signing you up to this, but..

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

I appreciate the current culture seems to deal in £s per month, but it might be worth noting that you will be paying £576 for this over the 2 years it covers, so ....

Thank you for your kind reply.

I opted to go with Autoserve Ltd who have "revised" the maintenance costs to £26.95 per month over 2 years.

the contract offers ALL  servicing over 2 years at an Audi dealership and includes tyres as long as not sidewall damage and vandalism and if tread is 2mm or less.

additionally included is MOT,warranty assistance, breakdown recovery,courtesy vehicle, collection+ delivery,24hr driver care technical support.

• 4 years later...

I got offered - service, maintenance and tyres for £33 per month for 36 months - I'm trying to decide myself - think it would workout exactly the same as paying when things needed doing so would gain if anything else went during the 3 years 

Hello Dave,

Welcome, and thanks for joining. 
I think to be able to give a considered opinion, we would need to know what your anticipated annual mileage is going to be -? 
It would also be useful to know if you are buying it on PCP, and whether you intent to retain it after the 3 year contract, or simply hand it back in. 
I would guess the tyre ‘insurance’ element simply covers damage to the tyres, rather than replacement due to wear, but we would need you to confirm that is the case.  
Perhaps you could comeback to us Dave. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Have you actually had sight of this service agreement? 

Hi, it's a 3 year personal lease with annual mileage of 10k - i might end up buying it at the end of the lease if i can get it cheap enough - the tyres are covered for wear & tear. 

So I was thinking over the 3 years 

1 set of tyres @ £700 (only 19's fitted)

1 major service @ £300/£400

1 oil change @ £75

1 brake pad change @ £240

So about £1300 in total and they want £1200 for the contract so not far off each other - but with full servicing and maintenance covering most things if i needed front and rear brakes done or brake fluid service or any other maintenance I would be winning.

Think I'm probably going to go with it 

Thanks Dave, 

Great that you’ve made your decision. 
The whether you eventually buy it or not would be important if it were mine, since with an annual mileage of only 10k, the car should be on an annual service schedule, and not the Longlife (c18k) schedule you will probably be paying for. If you won’t be buying it, you just need the most basic schedule that satisfies the lease - possibly just 1service even. If you end up buying it, you will have a car which has been potentially under-serviced for its best interest. 
I’m really amazed that this cover actually pays for replacing your tyres at the point where it becomes necessary to change them, but … you know, and would have double checked. 
It seems a little incongruous that this cover covers your tyre wear, but doesn’t/might not include brake pads and discs etc - ? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, I've wondered about the service schedule - on a previous a5 lease the service was variable and I didnt even service it on the 2 year lease ( only did about 15k miles).but on my q7 service was every 12 months or 10k miles - why are some variable and others not?

Service.pdf

53 minutes ago, Math8888 said:

Hi, I've wondered about the service schedule - on a previous a5 lease the service was variable and I didnt even service it on the 2 year lease ( only did about 15k miles).but on my q7 service was every 12 months or 10k miles - why are some variable and others not?

Service.pdf 113.2 kB · 1 download

The service type is set by the dealership. They leave the factory on long life, but some dealers switch them to annual if the PCP or lease is on a low mileage agreement.

That was told to me by the service manager at my local Audi dealership. Obviously whether this happens depends entirely on the individual franchise and whether the expected mileage is known.

You can, and I have, ask them to set it to your preferred service schedule when they do the PDI.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help - I only do about 9k miles a year do you think service should be fixed or variable and will this effect the value of the service plan offer - sorry so many questions 

1 hour ago, Math8888 said:

Thanks for the help - I only do about 9k miles a year do you think service should be fixed or variable and will this effect the value of the service plan offer - sorry so many questions 

9k is considered to be in annual servicing territory, however as mine are always leased I specify long life at that mileage. I would go fixed if I had purchased.

With regards the servicing price ask the dealer. It may swing your decision.

• Like 1

Hello Dave,

Gary is thankfully offering the same service explanation/advice as I am. 
The answer to annual ( which it should be at 9K) or Longlife really rests without asking questions - if you go for the quoted plan price. My bet is that if you ask them for an annual service plan, then ( understandably) the price is going to increase. 
As I said, if you are not going to be buying it, then you opt for the cheapest plan which will satisfy the conditions of lease. 
If you decide to buy it at the end of the lease, it will be under-serviced in terms of its best interest. 
Sorry to repeat the above Dave, but the decision can now only rest with you as to whatever you choose. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.