Audi A3 1.4 TFSI cylinder 2&4 misfire

djohnson66087

I have an Audi A3 1.4 TFSI (2013), 95,000 miles. Just this past weekend I was driving up the motorway and had what felt like a loss of power and the engine management light came on. There wasn’t complete loss of power. I pulled over on the hard shoulder and waited for the AA. The AA had me drive to the next junction to come off the motorway. At speeds of around 50 mph, the car didn’t feel any different to drive. However, when I had to slow down for traffic lights at a roundabout the car was very jumpy and jittery. Anyways, it’s been ok the local garage where they have run diagnostics. I’ve attached a copy of the report. The guy in the garage has done a compression test and cylinder 2&4 both had problems. He has said he’s seen this before on TFSI engines and that the engine needs to be stripped down so he can determine the problem. He has said from experience it could be a valve or the piston injector, but that he can’t be sure unless he takes the engine apart.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this and determined the what the problem is or the cause of it?

I currently have the car with a family friend who is a retired mechanic, hoping we can fix the problem without spending thousands of pounds in a garage.

if anyone has any advice or any idea what it could be, it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

5478F064-FDCC-4118-A212-AB65E103CB5F.jpeg

Hello Dianne,

Sorry to hear of your issue. 

I am somewhat confused since if - as I understand it- the car indeed drives OK? at 50 mph, then the issue should not really be associated with low compression on 2 cylinders. 

Piston injector? New one on me.

If you now have the car in the care of a family friend mechanic, then I would not be agreeing to any strip down until you have actually been given the compression test values for each of the 4 cylinders - assume your family friend can do this for you. 

Test report? Unfortunately it doesn’t mean much to me, but that’s probably me.

If it were mine, I would be asking the mechanic to repeat the compression test and then list the results on the forum. I’m sure someone would then be able to comment. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve had this on my 1.6 mpi engine. A 2010 the 8p model. The car vibrates too much. They said that the brake vacuum lines are damaged which might cause the juddering. Also I’ve heard people saying when they add fuel the car gets better.

• 3 weeks later...

hi   this happend to my sons car ... i was out ove town  he took it to garage  they said ecu  ... cut a long story short   i asked for report they said they lost   ya right ... did a quick  check on plugs  and coils   swooped them about    ... fault was  2..4  coils  .. plugged my own diagnostic as well  just to make sure  all good    wont tell u wat i said to garage   hope this helps rae

• 4 years later...

HI all I have a 2016 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI engine is CZEA. on Tick over there is a slight misfire, Milage is  39852, replaced plugs, coil packs. Timing Belt . No faults on the scanner. Apart from That it drives like a dream. except  the fuel economy is not that good. could anyone through some light on this fault, could it be an Injector?

Edited by waddy01
needed to add more