Noise & overheating Issue

b4ssline

Hi all, my mother's got a 2011 Audi A3 Sport. Recently it's been creating a really loud noise when going over about 60mph and it's also running really hot plus the fan seems to keep going far too fast for far too long. Any common issues we should know about? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

You haven't given us much information to work on Ben.

Where is the noise coming from? Engine, suspension, exhaust, elsewhere.

What sort of noise is it? Rumble, metallic, squeak, whine, knock, something else.

What investigation have you done into the fault?

Has the car been correctly maintained?

Sorry - should have gone into more depth.

The noise is a sort of deep rumble coming from the engine, almost like over-revving but with more of the lower tone you get at lower revs which I find quite odd. Car's got full service history with a reputable local garage, both I and the garage originally thought it was a turbo issue as it seemed to tick all the boxes but the turbo was removed, inspected and cleaned with no issues found other than a bit of carbon build up. The noise was definitely improved for a little while after this had been done but came back pretty quickly.

I can't think anything that links all the symptoms together:

- low pitched rumble I associate with wheel bearings, tyres or exhaust,

- if previous work on the turbo improved the noise for a while than that has got to be the obvious suspect, though I don't understand why,

- neither of the above would cause high engine temperatures.

Frankly I am at a loss to explain the problem unless there is more than one fault i.e. the noise is unrelated to the temperature. Perhaps somebody else can chip in with an explanation.

• Like 1