E-tron range

Matt2310

~Hi, had my e-tron a month now and I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the range.....it never charges more than 202 miles range and if you drive on the motorway at 70mph the range drops much much faster than the miles you cover. The other day I went 60 miles on the motorway (without air conditioning on) and it removed 90 miles from the range...WTF!! Anyone having the same issues with range.
Apart from that its a !Removed! fantastic car....but the range is a massive issue.

Hello Mathew,

Sorry to hear you are understandably disappointed with the range of the car, and I think your experiences will stand other potential buyers in good stead, and perhaps encourage them to request extended road tests before committing to buy. 

Re. the &#removed bits, and the abbreviated language - shame in my book, since I think it spoils the integrity of a most helpful post. Still, it’s probably just me. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

To Admin:- I there any valid logic which understandably removes words considered to be offensive, yet allows similar words in abbreviated form to remain in the text? Just doesn’t make sense to me. 

Not sure if this comes under your umbrella Trev. ? If so apologies for adding to a work load. 

Many thanks, Gareth. 

On 10/5/2019 at 8:53 AM, Magnet said:

To Admin:- I there any valid logic which understandably removes words considered to be offensive, yet allows similar words in abbreviated form to remain in the text? Just doesn’t make sense to me. 

Hi Matt...welcome to the Forum

Magnet  Hi Gareth, unfortunately I agree with you but this is where we are with Artificial Intelligence in 2019 which as yet isn't that advanced in deleting expletives....albeit as you say, allowing abbreviations to stay....it's only a matter of time I'm sure 🙂

Many thanks Trevor, and apologies it’s come your way. 

I do - to some extent- understand the limitations of the system, but surely the editing out #Removed# system is driven the logic of certain words which will have been inputted into the system on the understanding they might offend. Isn’t it just a question of adding the abbreviations as they occur? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hello Mathew, 

I did make it clear that I sympathised with your disappointment, and that I thought your post would certainly be useful to anyone who may be contemplating buying an E-tron. At least it was a reply! - and an appreciation. 

I guess there are not many/none who have spent their hard-earned £70,000 on buying one of these or indeed are intending to, so the response was likely to be very limited, but if your post helps just one, it was certainly worthwhile. 

From a personal point of view if I’d spent £70,000 and had the dissatisfaction you have experienced then I would be ‘tamping’ as we say in these parts. Would be expecting to have slates on the roof and be paying council tax on it for that! 

Anyway Mathew, apologies for having bored you with my solitary response, but thanks again for making your post.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Matt - again interesting topic, many drivers of fossil fuel burning cars will read your post with interest knowing that there is a revolution coming but there is so much uncertainty regarding what will be the best next generation form of propulsion for transportation.

With options for purely electric propulsion growing I for one follow it intently looking for something that will be viable going forward but unfortunately I do not believe battery only is the way forward. 

I only do 15k / year miles my daily commute being 70 miles but I do leisure miles including the rare 40 mile drive to visit family. 

My main concerns regarding EV are around range as you have already highlighted but also charge times (including waiting for public points to be available) and as we have all experienced with hand held devices - the battery falling off a cliff scenario where after a couple of years utilisation they will require charging more often than not. 

Lastly I do have my doubts whether the national Grid will be able to sustain a national EV only transport technology with the majority plugging into charge points overnight. 

I have tested an EV and have to say they have a future but I foresee a balance of EV and "other" propulsion systems where EV will be the vehicle of choice for urban utilisation and the other fuel be it bio hydrogen or flux capacitor will be the choice for distance and HGV 

Please continue to contribute to this forum - I understand your frustration regarding the performance of your new car - having cast an eye over one the last time I was in Audi I must say it ticks a lot of boxes if not the commuter option. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the post Envy.

It's a really interesting topic.

Electric cars are brilliant, they are great to drive. The E-tron is fantastic and for you miles profile it would be perfect.

Apart from the range and Audi not giving you enough information, pre purchase the other main issue if the public charing points.
I charge at home with a 7kw charging point, its takes 8-10hrs to fully charge.

The key issue is the public charging points, the only public points that are of any value are the 'superchargers' that charge within 45-50 mins. When you first look at a map of all the charging points around the UK you think you are going to be covered but most are the 7kw points that they call 'Rapid" which is the opposite of what they are. There are not enough supercharging points in the UK currently.

If I had my time over again, I would have looked at things differently which is a shame, I am sure the infrastructure will catch-up but until then I would think again. 

That said if your family already has a family car and you need a second car for shorter daily commutes, then electric is the perfect solution. 

Matt

• Like 1

Hello both,

I must say, I share Envy’s concerns about the National Grid’s ability to cope with all of this. Whatever the immediate future, the energy to run vehicles must be found from somewhere, and I wonder what proposals are in place to ensure the demand on the system can be met? Do doubt someone has worked this out. 

The all important availability of access to sufficient charging points has already been raised, and without this being adequately sorted then we are going to end up trying to run these vehicles and encounter the same problems as if say current fuel stations were say 100miles apart. 

If the future is looked at from the current vehicle usage and you - let’s say- observe the volume of vehicles entering a supermarket petrol station in an hour, you will get a measure of the number of individual charging points you will need. Now, while observing said fuel station, work out the average turn around time for a vehicle to be refuelled, and then think about each of those vehicles taking say 2 hours to ‘refuel’ in a charging up comparison. Pessimistic? , but it’s worth a coat of thinking about. 

Then we have another thought about the valleys around here and their terraced houses. Long extension lead sales are going to increase! Assuming you can park anywhere near your house. Of course, that will also apply to many inner city areas as well. 

Oh, and where am I still going to be able to get fuel for one of two 80 year old plus cars? 

Too much to be thinking about! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

An interesting development recently is Dyson withdrawing from EV development. With Dysons experience in power and motion I would have thought he would be very well placed to develop either a complete EV or at least EV drivetrain components unless he sees no commercial future in the EV industry and that some form of Bio or Hydrogen solution is poised to be the next best thing -  liquified hydrogen anyone?