New member with a4 avant 2.0t se

Lc911

Hi all!

new to the forum here. Bought my first Audi back in June and very much enjoying the change from my previous car which was a Touareg. 

Iv done a bit of work on it so far, just general things like getting the timing and water pump done. I changed the spark plugs as soon as I bought it and have done a couple of little things in terms of styling like wond Deflectors. 

I have had had a bit of an issue with a rough idle however. It’s been driving me crazy when sitting at lights or when stationary. I was looking to see if anyone knows what may be the cause of this? So far I’m replaced the spark plugs, fitted new coil packs and also replaced the maf. After replacing the maf it seems to run better for a day or two at idle (I notice the change in power a lot more now I have replaced this). It seems to have developed a misfire which only occurs at idle. Once above idling rpm there’s no issue at all. 

I know the desrciotion sounds a bit vague but I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before and if so, how did they rectify the problem.

thanks in advance all :-)

louis 

Hi Trevor,

thanks for the welcome! 

The problem has been persistent through changing all the parts I mentioned above. I have tried to research on various sites about a probable cause but thought I might be better asking about on an actual platform in the Uk for Audi users.

any help would be greatly appreciated. It’s driving be nuts!!

thanks 🙂

Might also be important for me to add that I don’t get any illuminations on the dash for the CEL. I can just hear the car misfiring at idle. I also read up that the pcv might be the cause, but I can easily remove the filler cap with the engine running 🙂

thanks again

Hello Louis,

Always difficult to try to diagnose without the vehicle. 

I think it’s important to differentiate between a misfire and simply ‘lumpy’ idling - which may be to do with fuel mixture variations rather than electrical issues. 

If it were mine, I think I would start by paying a visit to my local friendly MOT station and asking them if they would do an MOT emissions test on the car for you - following a 10mile run. This should give you some useful pointers, and may negate the next move of plugging it in and checking for fault codes, and if it is an actual misfire or a fuelling problem.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

thanks for your comments! It is definatly a misfire for sure! Bit like you say, the bet step going forward is to get it into a reputable garage and see what they say.

ill report back with what they say!

thanks again :-)! 

• Like 1