Coronavirus Lockdown - Disconnecting Battery

seligc

Morning,

Hope you are all coping ok with the Lockdowns.  As part of mine, I am no longer using my 3 door Audi A3 (2004... its pretty old!).  I planned to disconnect the battery.  If I disconnect the battery with the doors all locked then the alarm goes off (as expected).  But if I disconnect the battery with the doors unlocked, there is no way to lock the passenger door - since it doesnt have its own key hole on the outside of the passenger door nor its own lock button on the inside of the passenger door.

Can any experts suggest a clever way around this?  Its a communal car park underground so dont have access to a plug for any sort of trickle charge.  And because its underground I cant even use the solar ones. 

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Charlie....welcome to the Forum

I would attempt to sort this by locking the doors whilst inside and then pulling the fuse for the central locking and then exiting the drivers door and lock with the key.
Not entirely sure it will work but worth a try, just need to know exactly where the fuse is and maybe enlist the help of someone if under the bonnet

Let us know how you resolve this intriguing issue

Hello Charlie,

Disconnecting batteries and leaving them disconnected for comparatively lengthy periods is not good news, and may ( just may) lead to issues with remote locking etc. 

If this were mine, I would be starting it twice a week and letting it run for around half an hour -  assuming you can get it to the exit of your underground car park - so you don’t cause dangerous emissions issues for yourself or others. This procedure is a relatively simple, doesn’t involve any spannering, and is a no hassle way of ensuring the car will start when necessary.

If you do get any battery issues then you can then remove the battery , charge overnight and refit.

Kind regards,

Gareth.