MMI 2g Basic

Rankers

Hi All, 

Apologies for what may be a tired and repeated thread... but here goes - so read and confused myself somewhat on this MMI topic.

I have a red screened MMI 2G Basic system in my 2007 Q7. As such i believe there is no aux. input for me to connect a Bluetooth receiver for my phone or other devices.

I have read that to replace this I would need to change the screen, head unit, cd player, amp and possibly controller (did I miss something on that?)

which sounds daunting but is something I considered as the basic screen is a bit lame and I have seen an android screen for the dash that looks awesone - but hey money, and age of car.

Also seen some denison units that allegedly will work somehow to add a channel to the 2g - it works by emulating the CD changer I believe - but is this possible with what I have?

Presently I have a £10 Amazon FM transmitter powered by cigarette lighter and parrot handsfree - but this is a bit home brew for me and dont like the permanent 12v feed to fm transmitter so pondering a switched relay. - but if Im doing that I may take a view on some eBay units to uplift the MMI.

so questions are:

1. has anyone ever upgraded the components to uplift MMI - if so can they list the bits Id need - professionally done it would be cheaper to buy another car I reckon.

2. has anyone used the Denison (or alternative) kit to provide an interface, if so was it with the basic 2g mmi?

3. will I need to visit audi to code anything or can others do this etc... any other inspiration?

thanks in advance for what may be a well trodden and discussed road..

D.

To be honest to have it fixed professionally it'll probably not be financially viable  You need to figure out want 3G options you want fitted, as there are 6 different versions of the main Audi Multimedia unit, radio module with and without DAB, you will need a new bose amp if bose if fitted, you will also need a new screen. Best place to buy parts would be eBay

to upgrade it to mmi 3g you need: 

Mmi 3g high resolution screen approx £70

New radio/AMP module with DAB. Audi no longer have a separate AMP for cars without Bose/B&O it's now part of the radio. Cost £160

Audi Multimedia this replaces the old control head/Nav/BT and AMI modules. The unit I picked up was a hard disk based version, but does not have the sim card slot. Cost of this was £170

Final module was a new CD-Changer with the 3G setup cost approx £80

Aerial Amplifiers DAB/TV
Digital TV module
AMI Cable
Multimedia to screen cable
V2 climate controls

You also need to get the can-gateway software updated, for MMI 3G you need software version 0071 or 0080. 

hope I've helped.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve, thanks for this you certainly have.

most important is bluetooth connectivity for streaming audio and handsfree along with something better than the red screen.

Ive been speaking to a guy about 15 miles away who regularly claims to  break Q7s so he sounds promising for getting me the parts - reasonable.

hoping when he does get one he will let me help strip it so I can see how its 'built'/installed.

Will the current loom be of use or does all that need replacing also?

will the speakers / sub need replacing also? 

Do you know of any vids or tutorials of anyone doing this?

Ive attached what I believe constitutes the current config.

IMG_9202 (2).jpg

IMG_9203 (2).jpg

IMG_9214 (2).jpg

It's handy if you know someone who breaks them. In terms of the speakers and sub I think they're the same unless the car was fitted with B&O sound system. 

I would imagine you'll need the loom for all the extra bits you'll be adding on. 

I do t know of any videos, but YouTube might help. 

Cheers

Steve

• 1 year later...