1B engine tuning

Si_pickup_1B

Hi all

I'm new to the forum, but have owned many vag models & was a vw parts man for 20+ years, I currently have a VW T25 pickup with a 200q 1b engine fitted, I am looking to tune it a bit in the future & have a few questions 

What bhp can these engines safely run at

Are there any parts I can rob from other vag models, I do prefer to tune this way makes life so much easier in so many ways, eg I did hear that you change the wastegate spring for a ur quattro one????

I will be rebuilding the engine etc in the future so looking to start collecting tuning goodies so I have it all ready to go.

I was thinking maybe 250bhp from the motor & maybe 50 shot of NOS???

Any help would be helpful

Cheers Simon  

Welcome to the forum Simon, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

I see you live in Leicestershire. Nice to have another person on here from the same county 👍

If I've not mistaken, isn't the 1b engine similar to that of the UR Quattro engine? 

As such a know this website is popular for UR tuning goodies: 

https://store.034motorsport.com/

I think if you're increasing power it might be worth adding an upgraded intercooler, turbo and then a remap/performance chip. Obviously combining it with a custom exhaust which I'm going to guess you already have as the engine is sitting in a T25 and if you're going for more power then you might need an induction kit or similar plus bigger radiator as the engine is obviously in the back not the front as it would have sat in the Audi. This will definitely be important depending on whether the T25 is an early example no or later one. The air-cooled ones only had the upper grill at the front whereas the water-cooled ones had a lower grill too to aid cooling. Obviously you could had extra cooling by putting holes in the rear engine lid depending on what look you're going for. 

From what I've seen the 5 cylinder engine was very durable. 

If you're removing the engine anyway then you could consider a Subaru boxer engine which are very tunable abd popular for T25 owners. As such there are various conversion components available already. 

Hope I've helped in some way.

Cheers

Steve