Audi s3 2014 viewing need advise

Hutch92

Hello, this is my first post so I hope I’m in the right place in the forums for this. Basically I’m going to be viewing a 2014 Audi s3 with 31k miles on the clock. It’s failed it’s last MOT due to having no catalytic converters, but I’m told a new one is being installed upon my arrival. What sort of issues/common problems should I be looking out for? What sort of questions should I be asking the dealer? (Dealer is independent). Should I be taking out warranty if I do purchase?

thanks. 

Hello Conor,

My simple answer would be not to even go and look at it!

You may like the look of it, but....! .

If its been de-catted then it’s likely (probable) that it’s been in the hands of a boy- racer type, and and just too much of a risk in my book. 

If you do decide to go and look at it, then it will be a bit like going to look at a puppy - your heart could rule your head. 

Also worth bearing in mind that it’s almost certain that the dealer will replace the catalytic converter with a generally much inferior aftermarket one, and you could find yourself battling with emission issues at subsequent MoTs. 

Even if the car has suffered from a cat. theft, then obviously the owner has taken the cheapest route to disposing of the car, and then again, the same comments about replacements will apply. 

I’m sure there will be others.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, thanks for the reply. I have called the dealer the other day about the cat and they said it’s being fitted with an authentic Audi part, but what they say and what they actually do could be two different things. What are other things to look out for if it was owned by a boy racer type of person? I don’t want to buy it and then have things like mis-firing and what not.

Thanks!

Hello Connor,

I can only repeat my first suggestion of steering well clear, ( but you don’t seem to want to do that ) and concentrate on looking for another example. From the standpoint of rejecting this car,  you don’t have to worry about anything else at this stage, but obviously it’s your call. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.