A4 b7 3.0died quattro steering rack swap!

AudiB7Q05

My rack has died and is going to cost as much to repair as the car is worth almost! Has anybody got experience of doing this job on the drive with this specific engine. I know the smaller engines it is easy but it appears almost impossible for me to get to the middle bolt of the rack from under the car without removing the inter cooler pipe, the starter cat converter and a heat shield. The intercooler pipe seems impossible to remove due to a torx bolt fitted in an impossible to access place. The bolt is the one in the captive nut. Not the two obvious torx bolts in the pic.

20200621_134623.jpg

Thanks. The car is worth <£2k and a refurb rack is +£450 so quickly I can see myself upto £1000 in total if it went well.So £1150 seems a reasonable quote. But I think that you are right. It's a heck of a job.

8 hours ago, AudiB7Q05 said:

Thanks. The car is worth <£2k and a refurb rack is +£450 so quickly I can see myself upto £1000 in total if it went well.So £1150 seems a reasonable quote. But I think that you are right. It's a heck of a job.

I do appreciate it's a hard decision. From personal experience of spending a lot of money on old cars I always we t off the philosophy better the devil you know if it's been reliable up till now. The problem you'll have is either scrap, sell or repair the vehicle and you'll have to weigh up which the most financially viable option is for you. 

Sorry I can't help more.

Cheers

Steve