A3 Sportback 8V (2013) rear wiper motor replacement

Aitchgee

The rear wiper motor has started to groan horribly and I find there is some water leaking from the tailgate, so I want to investigate and probably replace the motor. But I cannot see how to remove the tailgate internal trim to gain access. That is, I cannot see how to remove it in a way that allows it to be replaced afterwards. I have form for getting this sort of thing wrong. I would welcome advice, please.

H

1 hour ago, Aitchgee said:

The rear wiper motor has started to groan horribly and I find there is some water leaking from the tailgate, so I want to investigate and probably replace the motor. But I cannot see how to remove the tailgate internal trim to gain access. That is, I cannot see how to remove it in a way that allows it to be replaced afterwards. I have form for getting this sort of thing wrong. I would welcome advice, please.

Hi Aitchgee

I've had two replaced by the garage and I did watch the mechanic dismantle the interior trim during one of them. There are push in clips which are levered out using a trim removal tool, cheap and easy to obtain. Replacement -  he simply engaged the clip into the corresponding hole and belted it with hand. There didn't seem to be any particular sequence for removal so suggest get a tool and have a go, there's nothing you can really damage. About an hours work from memory. Good luck

1 hour ago, ekimj10 said:

there's nothing you can really damage

I'll get back to you on that! No, thanks very much. I returned to the tailgate with a torch and found the two main retaining screws inside the warning triangle compartment, so that's a much better start. I'll look out for a trim removing tool.

Thanks again.

Well done Henry, as earlier said I've had two wiper motors replaced, the first was caused by leakage of water into the electrical side which caused major problems with signals showing boot open etc. The second was less than two weeks old and just stopped working. The one I have now has been good for 8 or 9 months.

I spared you the full story. The problem was water leaking into the motor gearbox, caused by a faulty seal between the wiper spindle and the plastic elbow/bush where the tube from the pump is attached. Eventually, following a tip from a post on another site, I fitted an O ring from my super selection box, although there was no trace of one having been fitted in the first place, or a groove in which one would fit. But there was space and it seems to have worked. The cure was preceded, however, by a great deal of hunting for a replacement motor. The pre 2012 model (8P) seems easy but 2013 on (8V) seems impossible. Used ones were available, though- at a price. I also checked to see if the wiper arm would free easily if I went for a replacement.  It wouldn't. My puller didn't fit and I suspect even with one that did it would have been necessary to destroy the arm, adding another £40 or so to the bill.

So I feel I've got off lightly at £15 for the trim tools and, probably, 5p for the O ring. Until next time!

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, Aitchgee said:

I spared you the full story. The problem was water leaking into the motor gearbox, caused by a faulty seal between the wiper spindle and the plastic elbow/bush where the tube from the pump is attached. Eventually, following a tip from a post on another site, I fitted an O ring from my super selection box, although there was no trace of one having been fitted in the first place, or a groove in which one would fit. But there was space and it seems to have worked. The cure was preceded, however, by a great deal of hunting for a replacement motor. The pre 2012 model (8P) seems easy but 2013 on (8V) seems impossible. Used ones were available, though- at a price. I also checked to see if the wiper arm would free easily if I went for a replacement.  It wouldn't. My puller didn't fit and I suspect even with one that did it would have been necessary to destroy the arm, adding another £40 or so to the bill.

So I feel I've got off lightly at £15 for the trim tools and, probably, 5p for the O ring. Until next time!

I sold a motor 8 months ago. Some eBay scammer wanted to 'return it' as said wasnt the right part....( he would have sent me back his faulty one and claim it was mine)