Audi Connect / MMI issues 2021 MY A5

Having the total runaround with Audi dealer, Audi Digital Services and Cubic Telecom. Though't I'd start recording what's going on (or a lack thereof!)

In September had a new A5 Sportback with the next gen touch MMI, all worked great - for just over a day!

Since then the car has not been able to connect to the internet properly/at all. I've been on the phone/chat/email with Audi Digital Services and Cubic Telecom who have had me jump through all their usual hoops of deleting users/cars/keyholders/soft reset/hard reset... and then take it back to the dealer (who kept it a day only to say "it's passed diagnostics and there's no fault listed") They just don't seem to have a clue, it's almost a month now with no proper response from anyone.

Initially this seemed to be restricted to just the extra features such as news/weather and logging in remotely (nothing I used that much). Actually it's not "connected" at all, the satellite images for sat nav had worked but only because they were cached locally. Once I left the area they vanished and after Audi Digital Services suggested I perform a hard reset/factory defaults, all of the options have vanished and I cannot turn them on again (so from map settings, there's no satellite images option and the news/weather 'apps' have vanished completely.

I suspect that the eSIM has been blocked or the account somehow messed up. Sadly these two + the dealer seem unable to work out why. I even had the dealer insisting I was getting the setup incorrect "you need to follow these steps..." - they were reciting the older MMI setup scripts and not the new "oh that's new to us, we don't know about that" Escalated !

It was buggy to start with. There is a little setup routine to enter the cars key user, together with the users' "MyAudi" user account. This worked ok, but was a bit bumpy because this is done in-car and using the phone app and the last step requires you to complete setup whilst connected to the cars' wifi hotspot which then needs to connect to the internet. However it can't complete this *unless you have enabled wifi devices to connect to the internet via the car (and you've bought a cubic telecom subscription for this purpose) OR turned off the little slider under wifi settings which disables this and then lets your phone or device use it's own cellular data connection (which should be the default setting imo).

So the initial Audi Connect licence is apparently valid and active. I have a valid cubic telecom (audi.cubictelecom.com) additional data plan (which I don't really need anyway). This is only useful for devices which can't connect to the internet themselves (kids tablets etc) but baring in mind it's a paltry 5gb / month it's less than useful.

The car I really love, it's fantastic but this runaround is just lame. I shouldn't be surprised; car companies and technology are really about a decade behind.

....so for what it's worth and for anyone else with issues like this, it appears to be cubic telecom that are the culprits.

The car went into the dealers again last week, but the evening before I got an email from cubic asking me to try again as they had "made some changes" - the next morning as I was about to drive in to the dealers, sure enough it was all working again. I still let the dealer check it again, but unsurprisingly they could find no fault.

Cubic haven't said what they did to make this work, I've asked several times.I suspect someone somewhere had pressed the wrong button.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, 

I had the same problem as you guys. No data transfer at all. No traffic updates, no Google search, 3G logo was there but no internet connection what so ever. Not even able to delete the key user to complete the factory reset. All pointing to an issue with eSIM in the car. Dealer was clueless and less than helpful. Took me 3 days to convince them this is a real issue (you don't really want to know the dirty details).

Anyways, after feeding the dealer with lots of forum discussions and proving that 100s of owners having the same issue, they finally contacted Germany tech and within half a day they instructed the dealer to change two components J949 and J533 and everything was back to normal. Not sure what these parts are but seems like related to the eSIM.

Attached you can see the repair report. Hope this helps the ones experiencing the same problem as mine. 

Cheers, Jake (Majid)Hello everyone, 

I had the same problem as you guys. No data transfer at all. No traffic updates, no Google search, 3G logo was there but no internet connection what so ever. Not even able to delete the key user to complete the factory reset. All pointing to an issue with eSIM in the car. Dealer was clueless and less than helpful. Took me 3 days to convince them this is a real issue (you don't really want to know the dirty details).

Anyways, after feeding the dealer with lots of forum discussions and proving that 100s of owners having the same issue, they finally contacted Germany tech and within half a day they instructed the dealer to change two components J949 and J533 and everything was back to normal. Not sure what these parts are but seems like related to the eSIM.

Attached you can see the repair report. Hope this helps the ones experiencing the same problem as mine. 

Cheers, Jake (Majid)

Cause

C/S HE'S ABLE TO SEE VEHICLE'S STATUS FROM THE PHONE APP SINCE YESTERDAY'S REPAIR, BUT STILL CAN'T LOGIN TO THE MMI FROM THE VEHICLE, THERE'S NO TRAFFIC INFO/GOOGLE SEARCH. PORTAL SHOWS INFOTAINMENT SERVICES NOT CONNECTED, SAFETY & SERVICE IS GOOD IN GREEN. THE 10 CHARACTER AUDI CONNECT CODE IS KEREBHXLBD. CLIENT ASKED TO ADD 3 USERS. 10 DIGIT CAR/RADIO CODE xxxxxxxxxx.

Correction

CONFIRMED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT. CANNOT LOGIN TO AUDI CONNECT. TRIED MULTIPLE TIMES WITH CUSTOMER CREDENTIALS. CONTACTED TAC LINE. TAC LINE RECCOMENDS TO REMOVE J949 AND J533. REMOVE BATTERY FROM J939 AND LET SIT FOR 4 HOURS. AFTERWARDS CHECK OPERATION. CONTINUNING DIAGNOSIS. AFTER 4 HOURS RE INSTALLED J533 AND J949 MODULES. OPERATION IS BACK ONLINE AND LTE IS UP AND RUNNING. MAPS FUNCTION CORRECTLY. REMOVED ALL KEY USERS AND SUBMITTED ALL INFORMATION VIA AUDI CONNECT ONLINE. VERIFIED INFORMATION AND SAVED. HAVE CUSTOMER LOGIN VIA KEY CODE AND EMAIL. ONLY ONE KEY USER SHOULD BE USED AND THE REST BE INPUTTED AS GUESTS.

• Like 1