A3 2011 - is it Cruise Control ready?

RobDun

Test drove an A3 today, am quite keen on the car but it doesn't have cruise control (have got used to having it in current vehicle). I have the VIN, is it possible to find out whether it is pre-equipped with the correct wiring if I wanted to retrofit a cc module myself? Or are all these vehicles capable even if the option wasn't present from factory? I'm aware it would have to be programmed in if fitted. Thanks

Hello Robert,

Retro fitting any ‘extra’ is seldom, if ever, cost effective. You may be lucky and find an example which was fitted with CC new, but it could seriously restrict your choice. 

Not that it helps, but a couple of decades ago, I was interested in an executive non-Audi, and was put off it because it didn’t have air con. The advice I was given was - if it’s that important write a cheque for a new one with air con. It turned out to be sound advice and the car didn’t disappoint. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Robert,

I guess anything is possible. In the older systems it worked via. a sort of vacuum cylinder which controlled the throttle in a selected fixed position. Modern system? Probably not as simple, but no doubt worth a good Googling, to determine exactly what is needed. 

Sorry I can’t help further Robert, but let’s hope someone on here will offer some advice.

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

To answer my own question, apparently if the vehicle is equipped with Driver's Information System then the correct module is present to accept a retrofit. 

As a noob to Audi, hopefully someone will confirm this is the case 🙂