2010 audi a3 tdi clunking

Darylbob

Hi folks just wondering if anyone can help theirs a clunking noise going over bumps doesnt even really have to be a bump even uneven road, an same noise but louder at slow speed turning a tight angle.. was thinking it's a drop link an could still be, but now the steering seems quite sloppy plenty of play in it any thoughts what I could try?

Havent had chance to get her jacked up yet although a while back I had a quick look underneath couldnt see anything obvious I know the drivers side drop link needs changed but obviously wouldnt explain the play in the steering wheel, I'm hoping its something that's just loose but wont he knowing my luck. Had the clutch replaced on this car when I first got it, an my mechanic found that bolts in the drive shaft were very loose so it wouldnt suprise me tbh

Hello Daryl,

For your own safety, and others on the road, please get the steering and suspension thoroughly inspected by professionals without delay. It will be impossible for anyone on here to correctly guess (in caps) what the problems are without having access to the car. This car is making a good job of trying to tell you something is wrong, and I think you would be well advised to treat these warning with respect.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Daryl.

You won't see anything simply by looking. You need to force the noise to appear while looking and feeling and listening. (Your ears and fingers are as good as your eyes when detecting small amounts of play.) As I mentioned earlier, test the steering joints with the wheels on the ground and an assistant rocking the steering wheel enough to induce a little movement at the road wheels. Test the wheel bearings with the wheels off the ground and an assistant violently shaking the wheels left/right and top/bottom, then spin the wheels and listen for roughness. Test the suspension with the wheels off the ground and use a crowbar to lever under the links.

If all the above proves satisfactory inspect the exhaust mountings, engine mountings, undertray if it has one, the valence, the bumper, the battery clamps, anything in fact that is bolted to the car. To repeat, you need to strongly shake each component rather than hope to simply see a gap somewhere.

Until you prove the noise is not related to the steering or suspension I suggest you keep the car off the road. Any problem related to the safety of the car is an offence under the Construction and Use regulations.

Apologies for the late reply an appreciate the advice an tips, I've had a day off work today an have had a look underneath the car an the first thing I've noticed is around the inner end of the drivers side driveshaft it looks like its been leaking green grease, I'll attach a video so you can see, obviously this needs seeing to but would this cause the steering wheel play an knocking over uneven road/ bumps?

If the rubber gaiter has split and allowed grease out, there is a good chance dirt has got into the CV joint and worn it. That could account for the knocking sound, particularly on extreme lock, though I doubt it would cause any play in the steering so that must be a different problem. Test it by gripping the driveshaft with big locking grips and try to turn it both ways. Any rotational play at all means the joint needs to be changed.

You mentioned earlier that one of the links needs to be changed. Do you mean a steering link because that would undoubtedly cause slack steering?

Thanks for coming back Daryl, and for posting the video. To be honest, I’m not seeing much from it, except some evidence of a possible oil leak (not major) from the driveshaft flange to gearbox casing. 
Sorry Daryl, but I sure you will appreciate that the forum has a ‘duty’ to advise where a request for help has been posted. That advice must be in the best interest of your and other people’s safety, and as such, personally, I must stick with my original advice of getting this professionally inspected as soon as possible, using facilities and equipment which will allow that inspection to be done thoroughly. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.