Audi Cabriolet 1998 1.8 clutch replacement advice

Mpr129h

New members so hi to all........

anyone have any advice or tips or better a guide on replacing a clutch on my 1998 1.8 Cab final edition.

it doesn’t slip yet but it’s stating to ‘baulk’ sometimes when engaging first ‘ reverse etc. Mileage is a bit over 100k so not bad for the original clutch.

I’m pretty experienced with diy and have most of the kit (although not a lift 😩) but never done one of these.

will be replacing the slave as well (is it inside the bell housing?) and don’t plan on changing the flywheel unless it’s damaged when I see it.

I’ve had the car 16 years, only used in the summer for a couple of hundred miles - starts first time every time and never any bother👍
Emerald green with red leather.... and a hardtop at the back of the garage somewhere.

another point - if anyone has a front lower bumper grille drivers side - it fell out and I’ve never found one on eBay 

cheersD092AE76-F386-4191-B613-8EDAB96E5B25.thumb.jpeg.f68d736bfebb67f41c77f819b5e6f759.jpeg

if it was  me wile gearbox is out  i change the hole  lot    flywheel  to    dual mass    nice looking   car  to  worth spending  few extra  quid  on her      kev                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-CABRIOLET-1-8-LuK-DMF-Dual-Mass-Flywheel-Clutch-Kit-125-01-97-08-00-ADR/124124177062?fits=Car+Make%3AAudi|Model%3ACabriolet|Cars+Type%3A1.8|Cars+Year%3A1998&hash=item1ce660a2a6:g:f1AAAOSwGSZedJsL

Thanks Kev for the reply and links.

im ok with getting the parts as I have a couple of trade accounts around, more interested if anybody has done one and has any pearls of wisdom they could share.

I will definitely change the gearbox oil, maybe spigot bearing as well - I’m presuming it has one!

I’ll be on my back under it with a trolley jack, as lm too old now to ‘treat it like a bench press and drop it onto my chest’ method!

easy  job  if  done them  before  witch  i have  done loads   as like getting job done  save  money  at  blumming garage prices   jack it  up high get axel stands  on    then away you go    kev 

Hello Lawrence, 

Kev has come up trumps as usual.

The only thing I can add is:- You are saving a vast amount by doing this job yourself, so invest once and wisely in good quality parts, otherwise all your efforts will be to little avail.

I notice you say you have access to trade accounts, and in many respects, that’s great, but I would be avoiding buying on price, but just go for good quality parts - at best prices.

If this were mine, I would only be using an LUK clutch kit, if not using main dealer parts ( which even at discount, are seldom worth spending the vast amount extra on, with Audi). 
Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks again Kev.

Hi Garath

Good point on the LUK clutch, I wasn’t sure about this or ‘Sachs’ so will look out for the LUK brand

Hello Laurence,

If it were mine, I would be prepared to consider Sachs as the only alternative to LUK if it’s worth having a second string to the bow. 
It seems you are tuned in with the knowledge of which ones to avoid. 
Looks a very nice and well cared for example Laurence - obviously with a good home! 
Kind regards,

Gareth.