2014 A3 1.8 8v sunroof stopped working

AUD3

Go to solution Solved by AUD3,

• 3 weeks later...

• Solution

Sorted it out myself. Was told the motor needs to be replaced which involved removing the headlining which I'm  not prepared to do. Dismantled the switch completely, found one of the miniscule push rods was continuously pressing down on its little switch button, preventing the other buttons from working. Reason, the little retaining clips were broken off allowing the spring-loaded rod to keep pushing down. Of course you don't get these parts separately, but I managed to fix these and presto, panoramic sunroof slides and tilts like new. Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

1 hour ago, AUD3 said:

Sorted it out myself. Was told the motor needs to be replaced which involved removing the headlining which I'm  not prepared to do. Dismantled the switch completely, found one of the miniscule push rods was continuously pressing down on its little switch button, preventing the other buttons from working. Reason, the little retaining clips were broken off allowing the spring-loaded rod to keep pushing down. Of course you don't get these parts separately, but I managed to fix these and presto, panoramic sunroof slides and tilts like new. Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

So glad you got it sorted 🙂 sorry your post was unanswered. 

Cheers

Steve

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2021 at 7:42 PM, AUD3 said:

Hi, I think I have a similar issue.  Did you dismantle the sunroof switch completely that is in the overhead housing?  I've managed to take the housing off and can remove the torx screws for the switch - did you fully take apart the switch?  Any info gratefully received (personally I dont think it is a motor issue on mine either and fortune to fix).

Hi, yes I took the whole switch apart to get to the small plastic push rods. They are extremely small and spring loaded, each in its respective housing, and they push on the switch puttons on the small circuit board. Check to see if nothing is broken and its retaining clips are still keeping the rod straight. I used superglue to fix it and its still working fine after almost a year and a half.