2010 2.0 TDI engine smoking

Ryanh1008

Bit of help needed guys please! - I've googled before hand and there doesn't seem to be much on this topic

On my way into work today I noticed quite a bit of whiteish coloured smoke coming from under my bonnet which stank like exhaust fumes

When I got to work I've opened the bonnet and the smell was that bad I couldn't keep my head in the engine bay long enough to have a proper look!!

The smoke seemed to be coming from behind the engine, between the engine block and firewall. Now it is parked up the engine won't rev over 2000ish rpm but there are no codes coming up (I have been told this is standard on these cars, but in almost 3 years of ownership this is the first time I've noticed it happen)

Is there any 'go to' things I should be looking for? Is this a known or a common issue? or could it be as simple as an exhaust leak? (although I can't hear anything blowing)

Any help would be massively appreciated .... Thanks again!!

Hi, most modern cars are fitted with a rev limiter these days to stop people from sitting in neutral and revving it right up, with regard to the leak possibility if you arm yourself with a cleaned household spray bottle half fill it with water and a good squirt of washing up liquid, shake it so there are plenty of bubbles then start engine from cold and spray the bubbles on the exhaust joints in the engine bay DPF CAT etc you will soon see if there are any leaks as it blows the foam away and there is no way the solution you use can catch light. Sometimes exhaust joints blow minimally without any sound.

Steve.

Ryan.

Colourless fumes or slightly grey smoke would be just an exhaust leak, but white smoke suggests coolant is mixed with exhaust fumes. Is the water level dropping?

I seem to recall that the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is water cooled, which might be the source. Not sure on this point.

• Like 1

Thanks for both of the replies, I'll have a look for exhaust leaks tonight with a spray bottle

As regards the EGR, I have had to top my coolant up this morning as it was very low. I'll have to keep a close eye on that to see if it drops low again

I'll look for signs of coolant leaks tonight (before checking for exhaust leaks! haha)

Thanks again 

5 hours ago, Ryanh1008 said:

Thanks for both of the replies, I'll have a look for exhaust leaks tonight with a spray bottle

As regards the EGR, I have had to top my coolant up this morning as it was very low. I'll have to keep a close eye on that to see if it drops low again

I'll look for signs of coolant leaks tonight (before checking for exhaust leaks! haha)

Thanks again 

Hi coolant leaks are fairly easy to spot as the coolant colouring leaves a red stain which turns brown if it hits anything hot.

Steve.

UPDATE: upon closer inspection there seems to be oil coming through the crankcase breather hose, which then looks to be leaking out through a joint in the main air intake pipe onto the manifold/other hot bits

• Like 1