Dilemma! A6 Avant - 2.0 Quattro 190ps or 3.0 Quattro 272ps

CJKNOTT

Hi, I am looking for an A6 Avant (2015-2017) car. Mainly used for commuting (100 miles per day - 90% motorway), plus the odd family day trip here and there. 

Really like the 272/315 3 litre quattro, but would like to know your thoughts, as they are a rare beast and obviously demand a premium over the 2 litre quattro. Question is: given the mileage per day (3 days per week) would you be going for the 2 litre and enjoying the MPG, or would you go for the 3 litre and enjoy it(!)? 2 litre sounds a tad too slow, but not driven one.

Will the 272/315 still be able to do 40+MPG on the motorway, cruising at 70?

Thanks

Chris

I just drove to Glasgow and back - a 200 mile round trip, though half of it on smaller roads - I averaged 42mpg. I have the BiTDi, 313hp 3.0l V6. I am very happy with that.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:55 PM, CJKNOTT said:

Thanks Guys. Appreciate your thoughts. Hard to believe how many 2 litre A6 Avants are out they compared to the 3 litre! 

That is because the 2.0 litre is perfectly adequate for most people for most driving. 

If a 3 litre will do 40 mpg, I would expect the 2.0 litre to do 50+. 

0-60 in 8.2 seconds for the 190PS Ultra is not slow but it does very much depend on where you're coming from.

You will always enjoy the fuel economy of the 2-litre, so think carefully how often you will use the extra performance of the 3-litre.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:29 PM, beemerboy9 said:

That is because the 2.0 litre is perfectly adequate for most people for most driving. 

If a 3 litre will do 40 mpg, I would expect the 2.0 litre to do 50+. 

0-60 in 8.2 seconds for the 190PS Ultra is not slow but it does very much depend on where you're coming from.

You will always enjoy the fuel economy of the 2-litre, so think carefully how often you will use the extra performance of the 3-litre.

Fair point. I think that highlights my dilemma - heart says 3 litre, head says 2 litre!