AMI cable

Ted_S4

2010 S4 Avant: I have spent two days talking to West London Audi and finally decided to buy the (expensive) £47 AMI to USB cable so I can play Spotify thru the car system. Called today to order it, only to be told it doesn't exist! Grrr!

So - can anyone tell me with some certainty, if there's a way I can plug a USB bluetooth dongle into the AMI socket in the glove box... or any better solution to what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

There are lots of AMI to USB cables on eBay

You can plug your phone into this and play music / Spotify through the USB cable. 

I'm not aware of any you can connect a Bluetooth dongle to. 

A quick Google gives this

https://audistream2air.com/products/bluetooth-a2dp-adapter-for-audi-skoda-and-vw-3gen

Which audio unit do you have - is your S4 not already Bluetooth enabled? 

Thanks for your quick reply. A local "expert" told me that eBay sourced cables can blow up the cars systems... ? I'm willing to shell out £47 to avoid that, but my local Audi dealer says the cable doesn't exist. The audistream2air sounds ideal, but I guess I don't have a 3G MMI. It might not even be 2G... how do I tell?

It's shows:

Software: HNav_EU_P0022_D1
Nav db: 8R0060884J ECE 5.10.5

when I call up the version info. The electronic handbook on the system is simply dated: 2009.

The car has Bluetooth enabled phone, but not media (or I can't see how to make it "see" bluetooth media, if it is capable).

I can't see a USB cable doing a lot of damage - did Audi give you a part number? Is it 4F0051510AB? 

I'm sure you can get this cable from Audi - unless it is obsolete. 

Regarding your mmi version I think you need to check back on old brochures or use your vin

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Audi

As for BT streaming at 2010 you may be on the cusp - it would appear under the media selection on you console. 

Based on your SW you are on MMI 3G/3G+ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Media_Interface

BT streaming isn't supported but the links point you to the audistream2air.com - so that should work. 

It looks like the same price as the basic USB cable you were going to buy. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 10:45 AM, Ted_S4 said:

2010 S4 Avant: I have spent two days talking to West London Audi and finally decided to buy the (expensive) £47 AMI to USB cable so I can play Spotify thru the car system. Called today to order it, only to be told it doesn't exist! Grrr!

So - can anyone tell me with some certainty, if there's a way I can plug a USB bluetooth dongle into the AMI socket in the glove box... or any better solution to what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

Hi…. I bought this from Amazon. It connects into the AMI box in the glove box then you pair your phone to it…. I use an iPhone with Apple Music. I guess it should work with Spotify but I would check…. All the tracks on my phone inc playlists I’ve created play through the car with no issues… it did cost £90 though….. hope it helps….A14A3CEC-79DE-431D-8EE6-3E38F33839EC.thumb.png.2a24f9ec1cd0ac92bcdceb6af520f089.png83DC9550-CDA3-4F2E-8F73-7C7470EE620F.thumb.jpeg.93ba5cb97c0e915219ebe18238a57522.jpeg9A235C2B-6B46-4464-A92D-D0772AC4F452.thumb.jpeg.94f281e703d00de9764e986db4b7b5ff.jpeg206F8A1E-B64C-4699-BE75-3F0C1F568FCC.thumb.jpeg.ba1265e9a2f349ae909b2aabc565fb29.jpeg

Hi
Thanks. I ended up buying an identical looking cable, but with different branding (Bovee Tune2Air...£99). It works with my Android phone, mostly, but does not display any track or playlist info. The controls for Next and Prev do work. Sometimes I have to reopen Spotify on the phone.... even though the MMI says it is playing a track (but with no audio coming out...?).

(Funny to note that you (Mrheisenburg) replied to my post in which I asked for "some certainty"...😆.)

Oh yes ….. I never noticed the “some certainty” …!..🤣… no worries..👍🏻

10 hours ago, Ted_S4 said:

Hi
Thanks. I ended up buying an identical looking cable, but with different branding (Bovee Tune2Air...£99). It works with my Android phone, mostly, but does not display any track or playlist info. The controls for Next and Prev do work. Sometimes I have to reopen Spotify on the phone.... even though the MMI says it is playing a track (but with no audio coming out...?).

(Funny to note that you (Mrheisenburg) replied to my post in which I asked for "some certainty"...😆.)