Halogen headlight bulbs?

RG23

Looking to replace the Halogen headlight bulbs on my 2015 Audi A3 TFSI Sport. The current (original?) bulbs don't appear that bright on dipped beam. 

Was considering the Osram Night Breaker bulbs as they get good reviews. Or can anyone recommend better? 

Hello Richard,

Interesting that the OE lights are still considered not to be that bright on the later A3s. We had similar discontents back in 2006, and replaced them with Night Breakers - to good effect - a couple of years later. These lasted well, until one failed a couple of years ago, so they would come with my recommendation. 

I could be wrong, but I think I recall it written that there could well have been fakes about in more recent times, so I guess you will need to be careful where you buy them. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.m

Hello Gareth, thanks for your reply. 

So your Night Breakers lasted about 10 years? I thought their lifespan was a lot shorter than standard halogen bulbs because of the power they use. 

Just found this Auto Express headlight bulb review and the Twenty20 Daylight 150 came top in all tests, so might consider buying those. Night Breaker Laser came 3rd.

Regards,  Richard. 

Screenshot_20210813-155256.thumb.jpg.16ab2d1fd1937ec71a6bf5ed32c4bc85.jpg

Hello Richard,

Yes, lasted about 10 years, but of course they were bought some 13 years ago. Quite possible that marketing and sales may now influence quality! 
I like trials and reviews, but being an old (very!) cynical being, I tend to think who is sponsoring the trials - a little akin to sugar producers claiming sugar is good for you. 
I would not claim any bias here, but does advertising possibly, just possibly have any influence on the outcome. 
For me, I generally take more interest in reviews by users. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yeah,  know what you mean Gareth.

Must be something to do with sponsoring/advertising. Never heard of Twenty20 brand until I read that test result. I'm tempted to buy the Phillips or Osram now as they're recognised, well know bulb manufacturers.

Can you tell me if the H7 bulbs are easy to replace?

Regards,  Richard.

Hello Richard,

Yes, lasted about 10 years, but of course they were bought some 13 years ago. Quite possible that marketing and sales may now influence quality! 
I like trials and reviews, but being an old (very!) cynical being, I tend to think who is sponsoring the trials - a little akin to sugar producers claiming sugar is good for you. 
I would not claim any bias here, but does advertising possibly, just possibly have any influence on the outcome. 
For me, I generally take more interest in reviews by users. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Apologies Richard - not sure why my last post has been duplicated! 
Anyway, you will have gathered where my money would be from a choice between Phillips and Osram, and regrettably, I’m not sponsored! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

No problem Gareth.

Thanks for your opinion, I'll probably buy the Night Breaker Laser. Are they easy to fit,  or quite fidly?

Regards, Richard.

Haha! I believe you Gareth.

You got good use of them if they lasted 10 years,  the life span is supposed to be 2-3 years I believe. So are they easy to fit?

Regards, Richard.

Thanks. Mines a 2015 A3 TFSI Sport.

I could try to fit myself but not that confident. I know Halfords fit them, but they only fit bulbs bought from them,  and they don't sell the Osram or Phillips!

Regards,  Richard.

• 1 year later...

Well, got the Osram Night Breaker Laser bulbs fitted but not a great improvement tbh.

Can genuine Audi LED headlight units be fitted, to replace the original halogen headlight unit? (Not an after market conversion kit)