SAT NAV outside UK

RonnyWu

Hi, I live in NZ and just imported a new Q8 from Norwich Audi. Maybe this question had been discussed before, but I would like to know if someone has any experience of installing sat nav map without using MMI. Audi dealer where I live said this can't be done since the system is locked in UK (something like that). I was suggested to go to third party to make the installation but it could cost me a lot.

Appreciate any help here.

Cheers, Ronny.

Thanks Steve, but do you know if this is applicable even if the car was brought overseas? Or the main dealer protect the system to be upgraded if it’s exported outside the country?

2 hours ago, RonnyWu said:

Thanks Steve, but do you know if this is applicable even if the car was brought overseas? Or the main dealer protect the system to be upgraded if it’s exported outside the country?

That I'm not sure. I can't see why not. I've never heard of a dealer protecting a car when being exported. Usually the car is exported then any modifications that are required to make it road legal for that country are made when it arrives. Such as lights for example. But the dealer would have no reason modding it regarding it's spec unless on safety grounds depending on the rules in that country if that makes sense. 

23 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

That I'm not sure. I can't see why not. I've never heard of a dealer protecting a car when being exported. Usually the car is exported then any modifications that are required to make it road legal for that country are made when it arrives. Such as lights for example. But the dealer would have no reason modding it regarding it's spec unless on safety grounds depending on the rules in that country if that makes sense. 

Thanks. Apparently audi nz is doing it although I can’t understand the reason behind it.  

13 hours ago, RonnyWu said:

Thanks. Apparently audi nz is doing it although I can’t understand the reason behind it.  

That's strange. I wonder wether it's due to the rarity of the Q8 (it's rare in the uk at least).