A4 Allroad Intermittent Vibration on Positive Throttle

Captain_Colgate

Hi,

I’ve a 2013 2.0TDi Allroad which has begun to develop vibrations when on a positive throttle at motorway speeds. This only happens intermittently however yet is felt through the whole car.

Anyone come across this before and can steer me towards a probable diagnosis? 

The N/S CV is clicking on corners but if it was a failing CV, wouldn’t this happen all the time rather than occasionally?

Many thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Captain_Colgate said:

Hi,

I’ve a 2013 2.0TDi Allroad which has begun to develop vibrations when on a positive throttle at motorway speeds. This only happens intermittently however yet is felt through the whole car.

Anyone come across this before and can steer me towards a probable diagnosis? 

The N/S CV is clicking on corners but if it was a failing CV, wouldn’t this happen all the time rather than occasionally?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi if the CV joint is clicking its normally caused by lack of grease and means the interior components are worn which manifests itself as a clicking noise when turning, this does not exclude vibration when travelling in a straight line the inertia on the CV is less when not at an acute angle but the wear is still there which is why the vibration sets in under acceleration, its basically dry spheres metal on metal with not enough good grease to accommodate the wear, it may appear to have plenty of grease when the boot is removed but have you seen the size of the grease sachet they supply with a new joint, believe me the joints need it all even the excess in the boot.

Steve.

Cheers Steve much appreciated for the rapid response. Going to rebuild both driveshafts with new inner and outer CV’s to be sure. First time I’ve tackled this job, is it worth packing in extra grease (above and beyond that supplied), or just stick with the quantity the manufacturer includes in the box?

Fingers crossed this solves it.... 🤞

Hello Chris,

Very much with Steve.- clicking CV joints obviously equates to wear, and indeed such wear can account for vibrations. 
Possibly a daft suggestion, but from basic principles, do not ignore tyre inspections, and any uneven tread wear, and indeed comparable remaining tread on all tyres - with 4 wheel drive set ups. 
Worth a coat of thinking about as a first consideration. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Too much grease can cause issues, where the centrifugal forces exert too much pressure on the boots as it fights for space to be thrown about in. I would be sticking with just using all that you are provided with. 

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi if the CV joint is clicking its normally caused by lack of grease and means the interior components are worn which manifests itself as a clicking noise when turning, this does not exclude vibration when travelling in a straight line the inertia on the CV is less when not at an acute angle but the wear is still there which is why the vibration sets in under acceleration, its basically dry spheres metal on metal with not enough good grease to accommodate the wear, it may appear to have plenty of grease when the boot is removed but have you seen the size of the grease sachet they supply with a new joint, believe me the joints need it all even the excess in the boot.

Steve.

8 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Chris,

Very much with Steve.- clicking CV joints obviously equates to wear, and indeed such wear can account for vibrations. 
Possibly a daft suggestion, but from basic principles, do not ignore tyre inspections, and any uneven tread wear, and indeed comparable remaining tread on all tyres - with 4 wheel drive set ups. 
Worth a coat of thinking about as a first consideration. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Too much grease can cause issues, where the centrifugal forces exert too much pressure on the boots as it fights for space to be thrown about in. I would be sticking with just using all that you are provided with. 

Cheers Magnet, much appreciated 👍