Hello from a new member

MisterH

Good Afternoon All!

My name is Ben, I am a dyed in the wool enthusiast for the more unusual classic cars, and have a strong passion for 1980s Audis particularly.

This stems from the fact that in 1986, my grandfather Brian bought a WR Quattro new from his local dealership as a retirement present. He absolutely loved the car, so much so that when it was written off in the early 90s (he suffered a mini stroke at the wheel) the car was bought back and completely restored. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6e23ddf791343b56bc2696a792887464.jpeg

He passed away in 1998, 4 years before I came on the scene. However, the car remained in the family with my father tending to its needs. Growing up around the car had a formidable effect on me, as only a warbling 5 cylinder and a talking electronic dash could do for a 2 year old. 

IMG_3260-4.thumb.jpg.94e4635e4eba8f832f04d46a84c1bf24.jpg

As I have grown I have found my passion for classics and the movement getting stronger and stronger. My first car* is a 1988 Volvo 480ES which I recommissioned from a garage find:

39a9f406-a8c4-4adf-999b-a983d6fac4ca.jpg.17bb4ad7e5c97530a1d3c8fe4b4622de.jpg

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.f7724c6251c1e80a72775be840c85ed8.JPG

Unfortunately, the Quattro isn't in the best of health at the moment. On the way back from Silverstone F1 this year it started misfiring in the traffic and coming back on the motorway was running rich and what sounded like on 4 cylinders. Typically, while the lady in the dash told us there was no washer fluid in the brimmed bottle, she gave us no indication anything else was wrong! We managed to limp home and in spite of new spark plugs and HT leads, we haven't been able to diagnose the problem, and are considering taking it professional. I don't suppose anyone has had any experience with a similar issue? I will probably make a separate post. 

I was moved to join this club however in my ongoing search for an Audi 80/90 quattro B2 (or a B2 Sport). I know prices are rising but I am really hoping something can be found for under 5k, that isn't rusty (I don't mind mechanical recommissioning or scruffy bodywork). I have been asking around a few places, but to no avail, so I hope I haven't been deluding myself that it is still possible.  I am also thinking about a 90/90 quattro B3, but if there is anything out there I would love to be made aware. Again, I will make a separate post in the appropriate place.

audi_80_1982_photos_2.thumb.jpg.20b4262313f520e008cc5cf65831b49f.jpg

This looks like a lovely community and I really look forward to interacting more 🙂 

Many thanks all

Ben

Edited by MisterH

Welcome to the forum Ben, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 whst a great story. I hope you get the Quattro sorted soon. My uncle had a Volvo 480 which he wrote off when he hit a bridge. 

6 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Ben, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 whst a great story. I hope you get the Quattro sorted soon. My uncle had a Volvo 480 which he wrote off when he hit a bridge. 

Thank you Steve, 

I have yet to get involved with the Facebook group, as my account is only a few days old, is there any other way of interacting with the club?