Audi Q5 2016 Rear Window Shattered

QFiver

I have an Audi Q5 2016 and last week the rear boot window shattered whilst travelling along the road. It was a cold frosty morning  and therefore put it down to either a possibile minute chip and Temperature Shock. 

However I had a replacement screen fitted and low and behold the same thing happened again a day later. 

This time the weather was mild but pouring with rain.

Rear wiper doesn't appear to have any play in it, I wondered if that could've been an issue or Rear Window Heater not shutting off correctly?

Are there any common faults at all? 

Hi Steve Q 

Thanks for responding. 

Yes i saw these posts but unfortunately no clear answer. 

The fact this happened twice with me in a week makes me think there I'd a flaw in either the heated screen or the wiper motor.

Very strange! 

Tried calling the dealer yesterday but no answer with the holidays. 

Will try again today. 

Hello Ricky,

If this were mine, I would be carefully looking for any stress raiser points where the glass fits - obviously this can only be done when the ‘old’ glass is removed. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth 

Everything was checked thoroughly prior to the 2nd glass installation. 

I spoke with Audi and no known manufacturing issues or reports of this happening.

I have tested the rear screen for the timer relay on the rear window. Full 13.8v when vehicles running and after around 12 - 15 min the heater cuts off and drops 0.1v at a time to cool down, Audi say this is correct. 

My only suspicion is the rear wiper motor. When I removed the wiper motor completely I found a couple of spec of glass in there and wondering if it has caught the screen through the grommet but to be honest I very much doubt it got caught in there.

I will leave the wiper arm off to start with and run it for a few days etc and report back.

Thanks Ricky,

I would expect that you were told that everything was checked thoroughly……..but……was it? I bet it will be now though! 
Obviously there isn’t any evidence to confirm that the wiper motor can be eliminated, but surely any bits of glass were unlikely to have been implicated in the first shattering - unless it had indeed been shattered before your ownership. 
If it were mine, I would still be wanting to see the glass mounting area myself, and thoroughly inspect it  before another screen is fitted. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth 

Yes the shattered glass in the wiper motor area must've been there from the first glass shattering, so that couldn't of caused the original. 

I can't inspect the surface area as the glass has already been fitted.

Iv ordered a new wiper arm and blade as its a cheap option to rule out. 

Will update if I find anything else.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Started the car this morning (quite frosty) Q5 S-line 2015 switched on rear screen heater as well as the front screen defrost system after about 5 mins I moved the the car 10 meters or so prior to setting up to valet the car after the Christmas break. Parked the car but left the engine running whilst I moved another vehicle and whilst walking around the car I heard a cracking, popping type noise and on inspection the rear screen had blown out.

Audi Poole don't really want to know when I spoke to them, although a service advisor did a company search for any history of this kind of incident and reported back with nothing they could do, no diagnosis, nothing!

Quite alarming really!

Not really sure how to move on from this situation.

Wow Clem! 

That's really annoying!! 

Got me thinking aswell now! Not sure what happened with my first one but on inspection after the 2nd rear screen was fitted here's what iv found. 

The rear screen heater (disconnected) had 13.7v going to it whilst running which is standard.

After around 12-15 min (standard)it reduced power by 0.1v at a time until it cuts off. Spoke to Audi and this is correct, rather than the relay shutting off completely due to possible Thermo Shock.

I left the rear wiper arm off and checked for play in the motor. On further inspection iv noticed some polishing on the rear wiper arm spring as if it has maybe been in contact with the rear screen.

Not sure if this was the problem with the first screen or whether maybe too much windscreen bond had been fitted to the 2nd screen causing to come further up towards the glass. 

Been running about without the rear window wiper arm on for a few days to test it. 

Will put the rear heater on tomorrow as its to be frosty (with eyes closed and buttocks clenched!) and report back. Ordering a new wiper arm and blade aswell. 

I find it quite staggering Ricky that Audi are disclaiming any possible inherent issues with this situation.

Just picking up on my quick internet search after the incident indicates (as highlighted above in the thread) that there clearly is an issue. Obviously a replacement screen doesn't alleviate any future failures as you have found with disturbing regularity, which makes the situation even more alarming.

I am having a new screen fitted tomorrow and with eyes closed and buttocks clenched I will endeavour to run as normal and see what gives. 

If like you I experience a second swift failure I will endeavour to drag Audi across the coals! 😤