Jump to content

suspension


Recommended Posts

Newby. hello everyone, i bought an audi A4(b8) saloon technic 2.0 tdi 2011 about 2 months ago and its been great.then set off one day and heard all i can say is a flapping noise.i took it to my local audi and they have said i need to change most of my suspension and 2 rear tyres and tracking.got a big quote.☹️i have changed dropped links etc.could i tackle this myself or would it be better to leave it to a garage.thanks all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello? (that isn’t your name surely, and it’s just polite to alway address someone by their name)

Thanks for joining in and posting. 
Unfortunately your/your ‘Audi’s’ description of ‘most of my suspension’ is too vague to be able to offer any advice.

If this were mine, I would be contacting the ‘local Audi’ and asking if they can give you a report of exactly what needs changing, and if they are reluctant to do this, then go to your local trusted garage - for the same. You can then come back to us for advice. 
In terms of the rear tyres - well this need should be self evident, and you will obviously need to seek local quotes for the brands you want to buy. 

Flapping noise? Often associated with a loose plastic undertray, but it may or may not be that. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello? (that isn’t your name surely, and it’s just polite to alway address someone by their name)

Thanks for joining in and posting. 
Unfortunately your/your ‘Audi’s’ description of ‘most of my suspension’ is too vague to be able to offer any advice.

If this were mine, I would be contacting the ‘local Audi’ and asking if they can give you a report of exactly what needs changing, and if they are reluctant to do this, then go to your local trusted garage - for the same. You can then come back to us for advice. 
In terms of the rear tyres - well this need should be self evident, and you will obviously need to seek local quotes for the brands you want to buy. 

Flapping noise? Often associated with a loose plastic undertray, but it may or may not be that. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

12 hours ago, bogus said:

Newby. hello everyone, i bought an audi A4(b8) saloon technic 2.0 tdi 2011 about 2 months ago and its been great.then set off one day and heard all i can say is a flapping noise.i took it to my local audi and they have said i need to change most of my suspension and 2 rear tyres and tracking.got a big quote.☹️i have changed dropped links etc.could i tackle this myself or would it be bette

42 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello? (that isn’t your name surely, and it’s just polite to alway address someone by their name)

Thanks for joining in and posting. 
Unfortunately your/your ‘Audi’s’ description of ‘most of my suspension’ is too vague to be able to offer any advice.

If this were mine, I would be contacting the ‘local Audi’ and asking if they can give you a report of exactly what needs changing, and if they are reluctant to do this, then go to your local trusted garage - for the same. You can then come back to us for advice. 
In terms of the rear tyres - well this need should be self evident, and you will obviously need to seek local quotes for the brands you want to buy. 

Flapping noise? Often associated with a loose plastic undertray, but it may or may not be that. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

r to leave it to a garage.thanks all...ps where would be the be

apologies for not putting my name in.the moderators must have put that name in lol. changed it now.i am a newbie so am making mistakes at the moment.here is the information from audi of what needs doing thanks

20220109_092510.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bogus said:

apologies for not putting my name in.the moderators must have put that name in lol. changed it now.i am a newbie so am making mistakes at the moment.here is the information from audi of what needs doing thanks....it keeps saying this name is in use evertime i try to put one in and these pictures of the car keep appearing when i reply

20220109_092510.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bogus said:

apologies for not putting my name in.the moderators must have put that name in lol. i am a newbie so am making mistakes at the moment.here is the information from audi of what needs doing thanks.unfortunately when trying to put my name in it keeps saying this is in use tried another name but still the same

20220109_092510.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks…..,

Sounds like wishbone bushes etc.etc.
 No mention of the cause of your flapping noise. Are they saying that noise is caused by their findings? 
If this were mine, I would be getting this car inspected by a trusted local garage and obtain a quote from them for what they consider actually needs doing. Audi’s quote for £252 for wheel alignment beggars belief!, so you need to get a more detailed estimate of what does warrant renewing here - and of course, what is the cause of your flapping noise! 
If wishbones have to be renewed then beware of what aftermarket parts will be used at your local garage. I would recommend Lemforder. 
Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Apologies for being grumpy,  but why are you filling up my computer memory with all these photos? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Thanks…..,

Sounds like wishbone bushes etc.etc.
 No mention of the cause of your flapping noise. Are they saying that noise is caused by their findings? 
If this were mine, I would be getting this car inspected by a trusted local garage and obtain a quote from them for what they consider actually needs doing. Audi’s quote for £252 for wheel alignment beggars belief!, so you need to get a more detailed estimate of what does warrant renewing here - and of course, what is the cause of your flapping noise! 
If wishbones have to be renewed then beware of what aftermarket parts will be used at your local garage. I would recommend Lemforder. 
Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

20 minutes ago, bogus said:

apologies for not putting my name in.the moderators must have put that name in lol. i am a newbie so am making mistakes at the moment.here is the information from audi of what needs doing thanks.unfortunately when trying to put my name in it keeps saying this is in use tried another name but still the same

20220109_092510.jpg

hi gareth audi says that i need to have the work done and maybe the noise will disappear. it only makes that flapping noise when driving at certain angles ie merging onto a by pass. its ok in a straight line.i have wrote that name down lemforder.i will try another garage and go from there to see what quote i get.would you gareth or anyone else on this forum know if its a difficult job..or would it be best to use a garage.thanks all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello………….? 
I need to break this down into logical steps:- 

Audi say this work needs to be done - to effectively see if these deficiencies are the cause of your flapping noise.

If it were mine, I would not go forward with this major expense based on that logic. 
Repeating:- I would get the car inspected by a trusted local garage so that they can decide whether (a) what Audi are saying is wrong, is indeed completely justified, and (b) If it is, is this necessary work likely to be associated with the source of your noise.
I would not put money on it, but I don’t have the car and I’m not privy to the noise. 
If you are asking whether this work can be undertaken by yourself, then in my opinion it would be no - if only because you are asking and presumably don’t appreciate what or how to do it! 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on with this inspection. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. We still don’t know what your name is, because you don’t tell us.

I wonder if you would be kind enough not to quote my reply in yours, since it just keeps repeating photos of your car again and again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello………….? 
I need to break this down into logical steps:- 

Audi say this work needs to be done - to effectively see if these deficiencies are the cause of your flapping noise.

If it were mine, I would not go forward with this major expense based on that logic. 
Repeating:- I would get the car inspected by a trusted local garage so that they can decide whether (a) what Audi are saying is wrong, is indeed completely justified, and (b) If it is, is this necessary work likely to be associated with the source of your noise.
I would not put money on it, but I don’t have the car and I’m not privy to the noise. 
If you are asking whether this work can be undertaken by yourself, then in my opinion it would be no - if only because you are asking and presumably don’t appreciate what or how to do it! 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on with this inspection. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. We still don’t know what your name is, because you don’t tell us.

I wonder if you would be kind enough not to quote my reply in yours, since it just keeps repeating photos of your car again and again. 

apologies again.my name is john, but it wont allow me to put that name in,as it says it is in use.also i dont know how to work out how to reply to anyone without their quote not unless ive done it now...for some reason i thought putting my signiture pictures in were going in to the gallery section. sorry if you would kindly help me with this....your reply makes a lot of sense.i will ask 1or 2 garages tomorrow(monday)to see what they think.and go from there.i will let you all know asap thanks john

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks John,

Success in part! 
No quotes now, but still the attached photos I’m afraid. Can you delete the photos from wherever you have filed them? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

update.had an audi specialist check the car over on monday had the car a few hours.he said 2 wishbones need doing and an oil and filter change.not heard anything back as of today(friday) so i borrowed some ramps(with height adjusters) bought some 5w30 oil a genuine audi oil filter from audi and a sump plug and changed that myself. i used a 19mm socket on the sump plug and a 32mm socket on the oil filter(put 3 new rubber rings on).....i am not chasing the garage i may have to try another garage.at least my oil level is ok now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello John, - post still showing Neanderthal!

Well done on the oil change. 

OK, the wishbone bushes would appear worn - not uncommon. Whether that is the actual cause of your noise?? - but if they need changing, then changed they must be. 
Incase it helps:- I would only use Lemforder wishbones if not using genuine VAG. There are other aftermarket brands available cheaper, but this brand is well respected. 
Search EBay for best deals on Lemforder. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

apologies again for a late reply.thanks gareth ive now been told by another audi specialist that its the front offside wheel bearing thats causing the thudding/flapping noise.£280 plus vat to fit a !Removed! bearing.he said a wheel bearing can cause a thudding flapping sound.would anyone on here agree with the diagnosis and cost thanks once again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello John,

So we now have Audi, who want you to throw loads of money at it (to hopefully) solve your flapping noise which is due, fundamentally, to worn wishbone bushes.
You have an Audi specialist who confirm the bushes are worn, but personally I get the feeling that just means the bushes are worn - but are they the cause of your flapping noise?? 
Audi specialist No2 say the noise is due to a worn front wheel bearing and want to relieve your wallet of approx. £330. 
 

Questions to others out here:- 

Is it just me who is in doubt about any of these diagnosis being due to the noise you describe, but being realistic that we are not privy to hearing this noise? 
 

Question back to you John :- do you have/ or can you get, a recommendation for a trusted local garage who can road test the car and give you an ‘independent’ view on the cause? 
 

Can anyone else join in with some advice on this? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. It would be worth ringing your Audi dealer and asking for a price to change the front wheel bearing IF it turns out to be that which is the source of your noise. Audi specialists are not always cheaper than the main dealers. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

honestly gareth i have been struggling to find a decent garage to look at this flapping/thudding noise.other than 2 audi specialists.mmmm all i get is too busy at other garages near me..here is what happened to me recently.i went to a local garage and while talking he had said he had been there 14 years.i saw a few vehicles in his garage.i asked him to change the oil and oil filter.so while waiting 2 hours later....yes 2 hours later....he gave me the car back i drove it a mile....the car warned me LOW ON OIL...i looked under the bonnet and there was oil everywhere he nearly killed my engine.hence i borrowed some low ramps and changed the oil and filter myself...so i am now reluctant to take the car to any small garage....did try ringing my audi garage this morning but no answer.been busy so will try again in the morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello John,

If you managed to walk into a local garage and was able to get them to change the oil and filter that day - while you wait - then I fear you have probably picked the wrong garage. No decent local garage can be expected to deal with walk- in jobs at a drop of a hat, and it would be reasonable to expect to wait at least a week to book any job in. If you didn’t have to, then I would be suspicious. 

Sorry to say it as I see it, but to complain that you had to wait 2 hours is an unreasonable complaint. Still…

There just has to be a trusted local garage, and it may take some searching and intensive asking around to find the right one, but that’s the hard fact. 
I feel I cannot offer any additional advice (as I see it - in caps), and I feel to return to the Audi dealership would not be the route I would go down - with all due respect to my wallet and confidence of a satisfactory resolution. 

 

I think I am a lone voice with this post, and would welcome some additional input, which might disagree or agree with my views. 
It’s quiet on here! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello John,

If you managed to walk into a local garage and was able to get them to change the oil and filter that day - while you wait - then I fear you have probably picked the wrong garage. No decent local garage can be expected to deal with walk- in jobs at a drop of a hat, and it would be reasonable to expect to wait at least a week to book any job in. If you didn’t have to, then I would be suspicious. 

Sorry to say it as I see it, but to complain that you had to wait 2 hours is an unreasonable complaint. Still…

There just has to be a trusted local garage, and it may take some searching and intensive asking around to find the right one, but that’s the hard fact. 
I feel I cannot offer any additional advice (as I see it - in caps), and I feel to return to the Audi dealership would not be the route I would go down - with all due respect to my wallet and confidence of a satisfactory resolution. 

 

I think I am a lone voice with this post, and would welcome some additional input, which might disagree or agree with my views. 
It’s quiet on here! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

 

sorry gareth if i made it sound as if he changed the oil and filter there and then.....no i had to go back to the garage at a certain time and he started on my car straight away then wandered off doing other vehicles and got distracted hence the 2 hour time it took him.thank you for all your advice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks John - that makes it clearer. 
Re 2 hour wait:-

It’s probably me, but certainly around these parts, you are expected to drop the car off and advised to collect it later in the day, rather than a drive-in-do-it-drive-away service. Probably different in your neck of the woods. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alpha omega said:

booked in with halfords.... front suspension bushes need replacing £500 not guaranteed to clear the thudding noise though

i can't justify paying £500 so i may have a go myself if i can get lemforder.i will look on youtube if anyone has done this themselves please advise where the jacking points are also the jack stand points and any pitfalls.as this is really why i joined this forum to gain knowledge and save money and pass on anything i have learnt.thanks all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello John,

Apologies for this hogging this post, and for repeating previous advice - which of course - may or may not be sound:- 

We know you have a flapping noise, which could be as simple as an insecure plastic under shield, or associated with a choice of many other issues - even worm wishbone bushes. I’m not sure if anyone who has inspected the car has clearly identified the cause, but all have simply confirmed the wishbone bushes are worn - to what extent?? 

New question:- did you ask Halfords to investigate the source of your flapping noise, or to investigate the possibility of your noise being associated with the worn bushes? All important difference. 
Whatever, they are understandably covering their bum by not claiming renewing the bushes will cure your problem. 
Appreciating you don’t want to spend £500, and your aim to save money by renewing the wishbones ( even though no one has clearly identified these to be the offending cause).
 

Apologies again John for saying it as I see it, but if you are seriously intending to replace the wishbones yourself, and you are asking the question where the jacking points are, then I fear for your ability to safely and correctly carryout this work - even if it is believed to be the cause of your noise. 
Once again, sorry John, but…..

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. plea again - can someone else advise John on this whole business since unfortunately I’ve run out of road with John’s quest for help and advice from the forum? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi again gareth, i totally agree with everything you have said..i too am frustrated that no one has actually said yes  i know what the cause is.when i did the oil change(used ramps)i did not see any loose plastic...audi main dealers  put both front lower curved arm bushes split mot failure.and other issues.but never told me about what was actually causing the thudding /flapping issue.first thing i said to halfords was that i have this thudding /flapping noise.they said we are not allowed to take it for a run to find out, and came back with the exact same faults as the main audi dealer had put.(i wonder if they share information on the internet)...thats when i questioned them about the noise i was experiencing and asked if doing the bushes would solve it.and of course they said they could not guarantee it would.and the other audi dealer said its the wheel bearing thats causing the noise.they said a wheel bearing can cause a thudding/flapping noise.if i knew for certain that this noise i am hearing can be rectified then i will gladly pay them the money.but have no confidence in either of their diagnosis. if someone on this forum have replaced both front lower curved arm bushes  or replaced a front offside wheel bearing(without using a press)then i would gladly have a go myself.i have done things like timing/auxillary belt/brakes/discs etc.its just on this car i am struggling to find a decent jacking point without crushing anything.i do honestly really appreciate your input gareth kind regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alpha omega said:

hi again gareth, i totally agree with everything you have said..i too am frustrated that no one has actually said yes  i know what the cause is.when i did the oil change(used ramps)i did not see any loose plastic...audi main dealers  put both front lower curved arm bushes split mot failure.and other issues.but never told me about what was actually causing the thudding /flapping issue.first thing i said to halfords was that i have this thudding /flapping noise.they said we are not allowed to take it for a run to find out, and came back with the exact same faults as the main audi dealer had put.(i wonder if they share information on the internet)...thats when i questioned them about the noise i was experiencing and asked if doing the bushes would solve it.and of course they said they could not guarantee it would.and the other audi dealer said its the wheel bearing thats causing the noise.they said a wheel bearing can cause a thudding/flapping noise.if i knew for certain that this noise i am hearing can be rectified then i will gladly pay them the money.but have no confidence in either of their diagnosis. if someone on this forum have replaced both front lower curved arm bushes  or replaced a front offside wheel bearing(without using a press)then i would gladly have a go myself.i have done things like timing/auxillary belt/brakes/discs etc.its just on this car i am struggling to find a decent jacking point without crushing anything.i do honestly really appreciate your input gareth kind regards

had a good look on youtube at changing the suspension i think i will leave it to the garage too much hassle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership