suspension

alpha omega

Hello John,

I agree with virtually all you have said in the last but one post. 
Can I boil this down to the logic - as I see it (with the I in bold caps), and I can only apologise for the lack of additional opinion on here at the moment:- 

If your MOT isn’t imminent, then I would forget about the front wishbone bushes for the moment, on the basis they are only split, but not broken. However, I have to temper this advice since I haven’t seen the car, so cannot be positive about the extent, or whether this advice is truly sound, but…..

While you are continuing your search for a good and trusted local garage, I would be taking the car around to a (local independent if possible) tyre retailer, and asking them to thoroughly inspect all four tyres in relation to any tyre or wheel issues which might account for the noise you describe - ask them to road test the car if at all possible. Such an inspection will at least eliminate tyres and wheels as the cause, and would be a positive and valid next step forward.

Personally, I would not be revealing that the wishbone bushes have been declared split - on the basis that no one has actually told you that that is the cause of your noise. 
I would be sitting back and giving this whole business a good coat of thinking about, rather than knee jerking into any decisions at the moment. 
Having said that, the car is trying to tell you something, so whatever the cause is has to be found. Other non associated wear problems should be parked on the back burner until someone comes up with a positive diagnosis. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, alpha omega said:

good idea gareth, the mot's not due yet for a few months.i will find a tyre place as suggested and go from there and update you and all on this kind regards

just been to national tyres they cant find anything wrong with the tyres apart from slight wear to rear edge.but  they reckon that would not cause that thudding/flapping noise.i did say the noise was definately coming from the front.they could not help any further.i will soldier on and update all with any results thank you gareth

4 hours ago, alpha omega said:

just been to national tyres they cant find anything wrong with the tyres apart from slight wear to rear edge.but  they reckon that would not cause that thudding/flapping noise.i did say the noise was definately coming from the front.they could not help any further.i will soldier on and update all with any results thank you gareth

Hi you said the noise occurs when turning my educated guess would be a wheel bearing as lower arm bushes won't make that type of noise and when they fail completely they bang and leave you in no doubt about whats failed, with regard to doing any suspension work you have to have a good tool kit and not be afraid of going where Angels fear to tread.

Steve.