EGR valve removal after stage 1 remap

AudiOwnerGroup

Audi 2.0 TDI had a stage 1 remap in August last year. Just started having coil light flashing on dash and engine light come on. Come up as p0403 EGR code error. Mechanic has said can close/remove? EGR valve. How will that affect my already stage 1 remapped car, does it have to be remapped again afterwards? Would it be worth contacting the original company who remapped it first to see what they say?

1 hour ago, AudiOwnerGroup said:

Audi 2.0 TDI had a stage 1 remap in August last year. Just started having coil light flashing on dash and engine light come on. Come up as p0403 EGR code error. Mechanic has said can close/remove? EGR valve. How will that affect my already stage 1 remapped car, does it have to be remapped again afterwards? Would it be worth contacting the original company who remapped it first to see what they say?

Hi would suggest it won't affect the original remap but it raises the question why they did not offer to map out the EGR while they were at it, blocking it can be done but that will give you problems at a later date, much better to have the EGR  told         that its too cold for it to be open then you won't have the problems associated with blanking.

Steve.

20 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi would suggest it won't affect the original remap but it raises the question why they did not offer to map out the EGR while they were at it, blocking it can be done but that will give you problems at a later date, much better to have the EGR  told         that its too cold for it to be open then you won't have the problems associated with blanking.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, the guy who remapped the car was a mobile set up, he just rocked up lifted the hood tinkered with his computer and it was all done in a few minutes. What are the are the specific problems I will encounter at a later date?

Edited by AudiOwnerGroup

3 hours ago, AudiOwnerGroup said:

Thanks Steve, the guy who remapped the car was a mobile set up, he just rocked up lifted the hood tinkered with his computer and it was all done in a few minutes. What are the are the specific problems I will encounter at a later date?

Hi, there lies the problem, most of these mobile people, Techs shall we call them, arrive and plug in take your money and clear off, normally they are considered cheaper than say a static remap company, which they are they have no premises to pay for and often as not have just a basic software program and not the same tailored software platform as for example Blufin, if you buy from them they will go through extensive questioning of what you expect and then give you realtime options of what you can realistically achieve as per the milage on the vehicle, you then get a loading device and its normally a ten minute job to load it via the OBD port, all of their software programs are checked for quality before they get to the end user and the advantage of their system is that you can upload the mapping back out, yes these types of companies are more expensive but what you get is bullet proof technology.

If the mapping is working ok just buy another EGR valve and fit it and leave it there, if you block it in another few months you will probably start getting some more codes/lights as the ECU will have worked out there is no gas flow and thats why the EGR is not sending it any data to tell it when the valves open/closed because the valve is jammed in a ton of soot where its backed up past the blanking, mapping out changes the command protocol and tells it to stay shut, the other down side is my mate did it on his transit and over miles the red hot gass melted the blanking plate and allowed the super heated gas into the engine bay which in turn melted the fan housing at the front, remapping is a multi faceted industry and if you go mad with it power wise it causes horrendous and expensive problems which I have personally witnessed on some occasions, it comes down to the old saying, IF YOU WANT FAST,BUY FAST, believe me its cheaper in the long run.

Steve.

Thanks for the detailed reply Steve. I see what you mean about the remapping variations, I was originally booked in to the have the remap done with the rolling road and proper testing but days before it was due to go in it had an unrelated problem with the car so  I rang to rebook it and I was told I would lose the £50 deposit, to say I was miffed was an understatement, so I went for the mobile option, was cheaper I admit but presumed would suit my needs.

My mechanic has quoted around £800 to have another EGR fitted due to the proximity of the valve in the engine, does this sound correct?

17 minutes ago, AudiOwnerGroup said:

Thanks for the detailed reply Steve. I see what you mean about the remapping variations, I was originally booked in to the have the remap done with the rolling road and proper testing but days before it was due to go in it had an unrelated problem with the car so  I rang to rebook it and I was told I would lose the £50 deposit, to say I was miffed was an understatement, so I went for the mobile option, was cheaper I admit but presumed would suit my needs.

My mechanic has quoted around £800 to have another EGR fitted due to the proximity of the valve in the engine, does this sound correct?

Hi the job itself is an absolute bar steward its a major strip down which involves dropping the subframe driveshaft and exhaust but if thats the fitting price only and does not include the valve I reckon he is trying to price himself out of that job, they put the EGR half way down the back of the block so its under the cat at the top and behind the exhaust and subframe at the bottom, even the safer option of mapping the EGR out will cause problems with the turbo life and engine bay temps as the engine runs hotter and the exhaust side of the turbo gets to work in a couple of hundred degrees higher gas temp which shortens its life, I would shop about for some other quotes before diving in.

Steve.