newbie needing buying advice please

lozzo

hello all ,my name is Laurence .i am not actually the owner of a Q7 yet, although have owned a 2010 A6 diesel for the last 5 years and am still deeply impressed every time i drive it. i am hoping to buy a Q7 in the near future but am concerned by lots of reports of suspension problems ,timing chain failures and general electrical faults and thought it best to contact the people who will know best ,the actual owners. Im hoping someone can shed some light on how common these faults actually are.I am a qualified mechanic(although old and creaky now) and so can undertake most repairs myself.I would be very grateful for any advice ,opinions etc. looking forward to a deluge of replies!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2006 A6 with air suspension for 12 years, no issues with the pump, during the 12 years I replaced the rear air springs & front struts with aerosus parts. I would consider this normal wear & tear, considering my friend with a steel sprung Passat replaced the springs & dampers every 2-3 years due to cracks & leaks.

From my experience the air suspension is no less durable than steel springs plus better ride & load levelling.

Had my 2013 Q7 for 2 years now, no signs of any air suspension issues.